Chapter Sixty-One

It was completely black. I couldn't see a thing; I could only walk around by feeling the walls.

You need to get out of here now!

I was right. If the power was out, that means anything could be trying to attack me and I wouldn't know until it was too late.

I ran my hands over the door until I felt the cool touch of the doorknob. I lightly twisted it and opened it. As soon as I did, a cool wind blew over my whole body. I loudly gulped as I realized something was standing directly in front of me.

It was safe to say I was absolutely terrified. Plus, the fact I had no idea what to do only made my fear worse. So, instead of doing something, I did absolutely nothing. I just stood completely still; hoping whatever was standing in front of me would just go away.

Finally, after a few minutes the presence left, allowing me to let out a huge breath I had been holding in. Before walking into the black hallway, I checked to make sure nothing else was in front of me by waving my hands out and making sure they didn't touch anything .Thankfully they didn't hit anything because if they did I don't entirely know what I would've done.

I slowly made my way through the museum. It was completely black both inside and outside, and I didn't have my phone to use as a flashlight because I left it at reception. Being stuck in complete darkness was scary enough, but being stuck in complete darkness in a haunted museum was far more frightening. Plus the fact that the last time I was here during a blackout I came face to face with a demon.

The entire way back to reception was me going by memory. One wrong turn and there was no way I would find my way back.

"It's okay Charlie, it's okay, just keep walking, don't stop." I said out loud to myself while walking down the dark corridor.

As I kept walking, I guided my hands along the walls for support; I didn't want to trip and fall over something. It felt like I had been wandering through the museum for hours, but in reality it was probably only fifteen minutes.

The sound of a woman singing made me shoot my head behind me. Within seconds my heart was pumping 100 times faster than it should've been. I could physically feel the fear raging through my body. I pushed my body against the old museum wall, I was petrified.

For a mere second, the entire museum was as silent as a grave. No sound was made, not until the old grandfather clock Zak kept in one of the many attraction rooms went off, even though I knew it was nowhere near the top of an hour.

Once the clock chimed, the entire museum became hectic. Loud bangs came from every direction, and from what I could hear, many things were being thrown. In a last minute effort, I decided to run as fast as I could to reception, and then get the hell out of the museum.

I released my body from the wall and began to sprint. I had no idea if I was going in the right direction, but at least I was going somewhere.

As I was running, I could only think about how mad Zak was going to be kill me when he sees what happened. I really should start listening to what he says. I was still running down another hallway when something sharp was jabbed into my leg. The painful force knocked me over and caused me to land on the carpet below. My immediate reaction was to grab it to see if it drew blood, and it did. I could feel the new rip in my pants and felt a warm substance leaking through.

"Shit" I seethed.

I quickly covered my wound and felt around for what I ran into. As I ran my hands through the carpet, I pricked my hand on something sharp causing me to hiss. After making sure I didn't draw any more blood from my body, I carefully reached back a picked up whatever I touched with my hand. From what I could tell, it was a piece of glass... but how did a piece of glass on the floor cut my leg while I was running?

I didn't want to waste any more time and find out; I had to get out of here. I quickly pushed myself up from the ground and started to run again, but the pain from the wound in my leg made me stop instantly. I put my hand over the wound; I had nothing that would be able to stop the bleeding.

I took a deep breath and realized I would just have to keep running. I could get help once I was out of the museum. I began to speed-walk when a noise came from behind me. I froze in my place, hoping whatever it was doesn't notice me.

Unfortunately it did. The rug I was standing on was slowly starting to be pulled from under my feet. If this happened during the daytime, it wouldn't be near as horrifying. I couldn't move—I felt so helpless.

"Pretty, pretty." A faceless voice called from the end of the hallway. The voice was nowhere near familiar, it sounded like a creepy old man.

"Pretty, pretty." He called again, but much closer this time.

You need to run... NOW!

Before I heard him say anything else, I bolted the opposite direction... away from reception. Once again I had no idea where I was, and I was terrified. All I wanted was my dad. I was tired of running away and trying to find my way through the endless maze of the museum, so I decided it would be best if I stay and hid in the next open room I could find.

Turns out the next room I could find was the doll room. How did I know? The second you enter that room, the energy changes, I felt nauseous as I walked through the doorway. I seriously debated running back out into the hallway and see if I could find another room to hide in, but decided against it. It was far too risky. The first thing I did was find my way into the furthest corner of the room, away from the doorway. My heart was beating a million miles an hour as I crouched myself into a tiny ball; tucking my knees so far into my chest it hurt.

Within five minutes of me hiding in the doll room, I heard movement, and I knew it wasn't human. I pursed my lips and tucked my face into my knees; because if I hid my face, it wasn't there... right? Every few seconds the sound of heavy breathing made its way toward me. I pushed my back further into the corner and silently cried. For a mere moment, everything was silent. Nothing was being moved, not a sound was made anywhere in the museum.

Just as the feeling of hope that all the spirits decided to quiet down, a claw-like hand was rested on my knee and a freezing cold breath was blown into my face. The unexpected touch caused me to scream, making the hand on my knee to dig into nails and pierce my skin.

"Shhh." Another cool breath was blown into my face causing me to gag.

"Pretty, pretty." It whispered—nails still digging into my skin.

I immediately shot up from my crouched position in the corner and bolted. The shooting pain from my leg pulsed through my body with every step, but I kept going.

A minute later and I neared the front doors of the museum. I could barely see the moonlight peering through the tiny window of the front door when the lights to the entire museum shot on. The second the lights turned in I came to an immediate stop. The door handle of the front door began twisting from the outside. Just then, it swung open and a very worried Zak jumped inside. The second he saw me, his features softened.

"Charlie!"

Just before I began to run at him and hug him, a figure appeared in the doorway behind him.

The woman in white.

This time she had a face, making her even more terrifying than before. She looked like a ghost from my worst childhood fears. The white gown and black hair was floating around her, as if she were submerged in water. She had pure white eyes and an evil smile as she stared at me from behind my dad.

I opened my mouth and yelled for him to turn around, and when he did, the doors to the reception slammed in front of me.

The last thing I saw before the doors closed was Zak turning around to face to woman in white. I watched helplessly as the only doorway to my dad slammed shut. I couldn't do anything.