Chapter Seven

The drive to the airport was fast. I hadn't been paying attention for the majority of it, mostly because Zak wouldn't stop talking. I never thought he would be so talkative.

"-and you're gonna love your new room. I had my mom and the guys set it up for you while I've been here and- OH the guys! You're gonna love them! I'll have to introduce you to them when we get to-"

"Zak!" He immediately shut and looked at me, completely ignoring the road.

"Too much, you're talking way too much. Let's please just focus on getting to your house... which is where by the way?"

Zak looked back at the road and smiled. "Vegas, Charlie, you live in Vegas now. We live in Vegas"

My eyes widened. "Vegas? I didn't know you lived in Vegas!"

He laughed as he pulled into one of the many airport parking spots. "Well, you do now."

As we grabbed my bags and Zak's bag from the back of the car, I noticed the top of a tattoo peeking above his shirt. I didn't mean to blurt out what I was thinking, but of course, I couldn't help it.

"Why on earth do you have freaky-looking wings on your back?" I immediately covered my mouth. Zak touched the back of his neck, almost as if he needed a reminder of what I was talking about.

He turned around to face me and threw his backpack over his shoulder.

"That is another very long story, how about I tell you when we get home?"

Another "H" word.

He closed the door, locked the car, and walked past me.

"Let's get ourselves checked in, shall we?

~~~~~~

The flight to Las Vegas was only about an hour, but both of us were exhausted. I guess all the packing and chatting took away all of our energy, and the first-class seats Zak bought were so comfy I didn't understand how everyone didn't fall asleep on that flight.

When I woke up, there was a first-class blanket draped over my body, and I am 100% sure I didn't do it myself. I looked at Zak, who was right next to me, also asleep, without a blanket.

"Hmmm" I hummed as I looked at him.

The plane window I sat next to was open and the sun lit up his dark features. It made me realize how glad I was I didn't get his nose. He began to shift so I quickly looked out the window, making sure to lean my head against the wall. I didn't wanna seem creepy if he caught me staring while he slept.

"Nice view?" He said in a morning voice, even though it was around 4:30 in the afternoon.

"Yeah" I whispered. My hot breath fogged up a small part of the window, but it left as quickly as it came. The view above Las Vegas was incredible. Zak peered over my shoulder as I gleefully gazed out the window.

"Welcome home kid." He said as he patted my head. I slowly turned around and faced him. I was looking at him with a disapproving look as he looked at me wondering what he did wrong.

"Okay, first of all please don't pat my head.", I started, "And please don't call me kid. I'm seventeen remember? I'm closer to being an adult than I am to being a kid." I said as he slowly removed his hand from the top of my head.

I chuckled and shook my head at his scared expression.

"I'm not that scary am I? I'm pretty sure I don't bite" I murmured.

"Nah, I just" He paused; he seemed to be trying to find the right words to say.

"It's not that I'm afraid of you, I just don't wanna overwhelm you. You know?" He sighed.

"This is all a really big change for both of us. I honestly don't think either of us really knows what we are doing here, right?" I nodded along for him to keep talking and agreeing to what he was saying. He rubbed his face; he was obviously nervous and choosing his words wisely.

"I mean, I never thought I was going to have a kid. If I'm going to be honest I never really did want one."

"Ouch."

"But, since you came around my whole life has changed. I'm excited. I mean, don't get me wrong, but I'm also scared. Scared that I might accidentally hurt your feelings or lose your trust. You're my daughter Charlie, and I know I've only known you for a few days now, but you are the most important thing in the world to me. I know you obviously don't trust me yet, which is okay. I just want you to know that I'm here for you and I will always be here for you." He smiled.

That was probably the nicest and kindest thing I have ever heard in my life and it was being said to me. I wasn't hearing it on TV or listening to someone else say it to someone they loved; it was my dad telling me how important I was to him, and that I'm not a nobody, I'm important. I hugged him right after he finished talking. Which stopped him from saying anything else; he just wrapped his arms around me and put his head on top of mine (which surprisingly is not impossible to do in an airplane).

"I do trust you," I muttered in his shirt, causing him to misinterpret what I was saying.

"What did you say?" he asked as he pulled away from our hug.

"I-Uh, I just wanted to say that I do trust you" I shrugged. "Honestly, you're probably the only person I trust at the moment."

He smiled.

The pilot's voice filled the cabin. "Can I have your attention ladies and gentlemen" He began "Welcome to Las Vegas. The temperature is 77 degrees with sunny skies and a small chance of cloudiness. We will be landing in 10 minutes. So please fasten your seat-belts and our flight attendants will answer any remaining questions. Thank you for choosing Red&Blue Airlines and have a wonderful rest of your day."

I took a deep breath. New life here I come.