Chapter Twenty-Three

About half an hour later and Patti had cleansed the whole house. We even made sure she cleansed Gracie's dog house, just to make sure she had safe dreams too. As she was leaving, she gave us hugs and reassured nothing would be attaching itself to us anytime soon. Just before she walked out of the doorway she sharply turned around and walked back toward me. When she came up to me she held both of my hands like how she did when she first met me. Then she leaned over and whispered in my ear.

"Your mother wanted me to tell you this. Stop being a brat and sneaking out; he's only trying his best and you need to be patient with him. This is hard for him too" she smirked. As she walked away she looked back once more and yelled. "Also, tell your father it's in the red box. That's where he will find it" Then she was out of view.

I just stood in the doorway of the house, star-struck. She spoke to Marion. I slowly closed the door and walked back into the kitchen where I could see Zak standing outside in the backyard looking into the valley.

I quietly walked outside, making sure to close the door behind me. Zak looked back at me immediately.

"You okay?" he asked. I walked up beside him and crossed my arms over my chest.

"I will be. We're safe now, nothing can hurt us anymore"

He smiled and looked down.

"Patti told me something before she left"

He quickly looked over at me in interest. "What'd she say?"

"She said that Marion wants you to look in the red box. That's where you'll find it" I looked at him with a confused face, wondering what that sentence meant as I said it.

Going by his facial expression, he knew exactly what I was talking about.

"Oh My God" he whispered. Before I knew it, he was gone. He ran inside the house and into his room in less than 30 seconds.

Out of pure curiosity I followed him upstairs. When I walked into his room, all I could see were two black socks poking out from under his king sized bed.

That's when I heard him yell "Aha!" from under his bed, then a slight bang followed by an "Ouch".

I laughed at him. My dad was kind of a loser.

When he slowly got out from under his bed, the first thing he did was rub his head and moan. Then he pulled out an old cherry wood box covered in dust.

I watched him as he looked down and starred at the box in his hands. He tucked his hand in his sleeve and wiped all the dust off the top of the box with it.

"What is that?" I asked.

He obviously didn't know I was watching him because he jumped a little.

He took deep breath, as if he were preparing himself for something. Then, he sat down on his bed and patted down for me to sit next to him.

I was leaning against the doorway with my arms crossed over my chest when he gestured for me to sit with him. So when he patted the spot next to him I stood up straight, uncrossed my arms and slowly walked over to him, then sat beside him.

He was holding the box very gently, as if he could break it if he held it harder.

"I'm going to tell you something, and you have to promise not to walk away from me and hear the whole story, okay?" he asked.

I nodded, slightly wondering if I should be worried or not.

After seeing me nod, he unlatched the box to reveal the objects inside. After looking at them for a few seconds he handed the box over to me.