Chapter Forty-Eight

I kept my hands in the pockets of my leather jacket as I strolled through the familiar streets of downtown Phoenix. I smiled as I saw the same shops and stores and I smiled even bigger when I saw the one I was looking for.

A distinct chiming sound rang through the small shop as I walked through its door. The smell of old wood and musty carpet filled my senses.

"Charlie?" A voice called. I swung my head in its direction.

"Ms. Garcia?" It had only been a year, but she still hadn't aged a day. She wore black shawl over a white shirt with her blue jeans that complemented her dark skin. The second she recognized me, she ran and gave me a giant hug.

"Oh my god Charlie! Where have you been? I haven't seen you in so long!" The familiar scent of herbs and spices flooded my nose. I missed that smell so much. When she let go of me, her long brown hair bounced behind her back.

"I have so much to tell you, but I only have so much time" She stuck her lip out in a pout.

"Come, come" She led me to the back séance room and sat me down in one of the four chairs.

"Tell me everything" I looked on the wall and smiled at all the photos she had of Danny. I looked back into her warm brown eyes.

"I found my dad. Or more like he found me" Her eyes widened.

"You found you dad? How?"

"My mom." I smiled and gazed at Maria's shocked expression. "She sent him a letter explaining everything. He flew over here and found me just before she died. I've been living with him in Vegas ever since" I smiled. I wasn't going to tell her about my paranormal experiences, I didn't have the time to tell her about them, only enough for one.

"I saw Danny" Her eyes widened once more.

"You what?"

"A couple months ago, I died. But while I was dead, I saw Danny. I wouldn't be alive if it weren't for her" I reached for her hand and held it.

"Is she okay? Is my baby girl okay?" Her Spanish accent became thicker as her voice became weaker. Maria always teared up when talking about her daughter.

"She was older when I saw her. She looks like you" Maria squeezed my hand, but as soon as she did, she went somewhere else. Her eyes were covered in a haze.

"Maria?"

I looked around the séance room. Maria bought this shop after Danny died and had owned it since. She believed she could talk to the dead and wanted to help others cope through their pain of losing a loved one. This room was where she would talk to the spirits.

"Something very bad is going to happen at that prison. Do not go into that prison. It saw you, and now it wants you" She mumbled.

A few seconds later, she returned to normal, the haze in her eyes was gone.

"Charlie you're in danger"

My eyes were wide with fear. "I know, you just said that" She clutched the jewels and crystals hanging on her neck. Then, she grabbed one and lifted it over her head. It was an aqua crystal necklace covered in wire.

"Aqua is the color of protection. Wear this at all times" Before she gave it to me she held the necklace between both hands and chanted a few words in Latin.

"Huic custodiat cor tuum ex toto grassantes procul a periculis in tenebris" When she was done she smiled, stood up, and gave me a hug.

"It was so nice to see you again Charlie, come visit before you leave for Vegas. And bring your father, I would love to meet him" She clutched the necklace in between my hands.