Chapter Eighteen

The valley was massive. Pathways covered every inch of it. I just chose a random one and decided to walk along the path until it ended, no matter how far it took me.

The clouds were getting closer, and they were much darker than the rest. I hastily put my arms in my pockets and continued walking. I kept repeating what Zak had said earlier about barely knowing me.

I mean, he was right, he barely knew me. It's been almost two months since I met him in that damn hospital in Phoenix.

God I missed Phoenix. I missed the weather, I missed hearing the coyotes at night, the food stands at every corner, and they had the best Mexican food. Not that I could afford it, but every once in a while I would treat myself. I just didn't miss the people.

We left Marion in Phoenix. She was cremated after she died, and after that, we dumped her ashes in the Salt River. She used to take me there when I was a kid; those were probably the best memories I have of her. The next day we left for Vegas. I had barely thought of her this whole time. I had just been so busy with Zak, the lockdown, and adjusting to my new life. I honestly didn't really care either; she deserved the life she lived.

A shot of lightning flew across the sky, causing the valley to lighten for a mere second. The sun was almost gone and the moon had risen. Another bolt flew across the sky, but this time a loud crackle followed it. A few seconds later, rain began to fall.

I smiled. I loved the rain, and I loved lightning. I put my hood down and let the rain soak my hair and smiled as I felt the droplets run down my face. I loved the feeling of the cold water rushing down me.

It was safe to say it was pouring rain. So much was coming down at once I could barely see the city of lights itself.

I looked around, and from what I could tell, no one was around me for miles.

I spread my arms out around me and faced the sky. I embraced the rain.

It was like one of those dramatic movie moments where there should be music in the background and cameras surround you as you play the dramatic part. Of course, it didn't last long, but it made the walk worth it. Within two minutes of me dancing in the rain, I was freezing and knew it was time to go home.

It had taken me about half an hour to walk out this far, so another half hour to get back. The rain wouldn't stop, it kept coming down even harder than before, making me realize how dumb I was to sneak out when I knew the weather would be like this. I crossed my arms across my chest in order to keep some heat on my soaking body. Then, I ran, I ran as hard as I could through the pouring rain. Every few seconds the lightning would light up the sky, allowing me to see how far away I was from the warmth of my home.

After at least fifteen minutes of running through the harsh winds and rain, I made it home. I unlatched the gate to the backyard and completely forgot to look and check to see if Zak was still in the kitchen. To my luck he wasn't, so that meant I could probably walk through the back door instead of climbing onto the roof and through the window to my room.

As I walked through the back door and into the kitchen, I was hit with silence. The sound of the rain was so loud outside, when I came inside it was almost a shock. I quickly took off my soaking wet shoes and hoodie to reveal the half soaked t-shirt underneath. My jeans were soaked as well, but I wasn't going to take them off in the middle of my kitchen.

The sound of my bare feet against the cold marble floor echoed throughout the hallway up until I reached my room. As I opened the door, I was greeted by Zak sitting on my bed looking at me with the note I wrote in his hands. He did not look impressed.

"Hey Charlie" he was pissed.

"Zak" I mumbled "How's it going?"

He shrugged. "Not too well" he stood up "You see I have a bit of a dilemma. My daughter, who I've done nothing, but go out of my way for her and help her, snuck out of her room in the middle of a rain storm." He took a deep breath, causing his nostrils to flare a bit.

"I left a note" I mumbled again and looked down.

"I see that Charlie, that's what pisses me off more. I came in here to apologize for earlier, and I come in to find an empty room and the window is wide open with water all over the floor. Oh! And a note, a fucking note, saying you needed some air. You don't think about anyone but yourself Charlie. This is not Phoenix! This isn't how your life is! You can't do whatever you want, whenever you want!" I didn't know he would get this mad.

"I'm sorry Zak, it won't happen again." I was still looking down at the ground.

He laughed, but it wasn't a funny laugh, it was kind of evil. "You're damn right it won't happen again Charlie, because tomorrow you're getting locks on that window, I'm turning that damn GPS on your phone on and you won't leave this fucking house again. I thought I could trust you Charlie, but I obviously can't considering what you just did" he stood up and began to walk out of my room.

I didn't know he would be so upset about this, I was barely gone an hour.

"Will you ever trust me again?" I asked, a tear running down my face.

He stopped walking and turned his head toward me just a little bit. "I don't know Charlie, I'll think about it, but don't talk to me right now; I don't even want to look at you." He turned his head toward the door walked out, making sure to close the door behind him and leave me alone.