The Glass Slipper

"Ahhrrrg!" 

"Ahhrrrg!" 

I yelped as the hot oil spatters out of the hover plate adding to the burns on my arms. I use the wrench in my hand to hit the plate. 

Three weeks had passed since the ball and I had been working my ass off with orders to fix hover cars left and right. 

My brother owns a franchised auto repair center and I've worked every single day of my life as a mechanic. As soon as I could walk my brother put a cyber wrench in my hand and put me to work.

 Even when I was sick with cancer I still continued to work by processing orders from a screen top in my hospital bed.

I was so busy angrily banging the plate; which I would now have to replace, that I didn't notice the sound of the shop going silent and the gentle clicking from the heels of a nice pair of dress shoes stop in front of my hoverboard. 

"God I hate these things!" I shouted, frustrated at the world and stressed with the amount of bills piling up at the house. 

It was usual for me to shout.

 It was unusual for me to hear my own echo.

 Was it break time already? 

"I don't believe hitting the plate is going to solve anything."

 I hear a voice say and look over to see the bottoms of navy suit pants and black leather dress shoes. I see the figure squat down next to my board. The voice was so proper and smooth and yet so familiar.

 My heart fluttered and sent a chill down my spine as I was reminded of the mystery man at the ball.

I slowly back out from under the car using the hover board I was laying on and when his face is revealed to me unmasked for the first time, my mouth drops because I know who he is. 

How did I not notice who he was at the ball with his silky black hair and light gray eyes? 

"So my beautiful Cinderella is the best mechanic in downtown Bridgeport, how fitting." he smiles and pulls my gold pocket square out of his back pocket. 

"Do you know how many Josephs there are in this city? Surprisingly quite a few. Sorry, it took so long. I swear to you I was searching day and night princess." he says and my mouth is still open. 

It was Peter Grayson.

The Grayson family was the most beloved family in all of Bridgeport Island, only second to the royal family. They were the wealthiest family in the country by making over 6 trillion units a year with marketing skills that surpass any other company. 

Grayson International Enterprises as a company was worth more than our island.

 The building itself was a marvel just to look at because it was the tallest building on the island and could be seen no matter where you were standing. 

The members of the entire Grayson family were well known because the nine Grayson Children were displayed with their parents in a family portrait portrayed on the front of their building. 

They've been famous since the day they were born. Girls formed fan clubs over all the Grayson brothers including Peter and often stood in front of the building for hours just to get a glimpse of them. But their wealth alone was not the reason why they were so loved by our people. 

They saved the Island of Bridgeport.