Pure Coincidence

We laid on the beach that night while staring up at the stars

We laid on the beach that night while staring up at the stars. We were the only ones on there at this hour and the night was colder than usual because it was late October. The waves crash against the shore and I did my feet into the grains of sand.

There was a tension between Peter and I that had never been there before and neither one of us spoke up for an hour.

Until finally he breaks first.

"I feel that with this amount of tension we are both angry at each other but for different reasons. Excuse my silence I was just getting my thoughts together." Peter says and lets out a deep sigh.

"Yes, you go first. Mine might take awhile, though I don't see why you would be upset." I huff and cross my arms to warm myself up from the cold.

He looks over and sees me shivering then gets up and pulls the leather jacket off the saddle of his nitro-cycle, draping it over my shoulders. His hands stay on my shoulders as he gets down on his knees and I look over to see his face. He doesn't move.

"Are you cheating on me?"

It was a simple question but our conversations were always a game of chess and it could never be this easy.

"No. Why would you even think that Peter? I love you." Is all I say as he searches my eyes for lies.

"You were with your ex boyfriend today...why?" I didn't have to ask why he knew this.

He's famous and people are constantly watching us and giving information to gossip magazines. It makes sense now as to why Mushu wanted to talk to me. He wanted to get famous.

"You heard about that? Trust me it was nothing. He just wanted to make a fool of himself."

I explain and I can see Peter's shoulders finally relax as he wraps his arms around me.

"Why did you guys separate?" he asks next with his head on my shoulder and arms around my chest. His legs stretched out next to mine and his right foot gently rubs against mine.

"He left me because I had cancer. Right before I went into my cancer surgery. And I haven't seen him since. Well until today I guess." I say and he holds me closer.

"What an ass."

He whispers as the ocean crashes against the surface.

"I know...which leads me to my next point. My brother told me that the bill for my surgery was paid off by an 'anonymous donor'. Why Peter? I don't need you to pay things off for me. It makes me feel very guilty like I owe you. I don't like that feeling." I let go of everything on my chest.

"Ah, I'm surprised you didn't find out sooner, to be honest considering that was six months ago but let me tell you a story." He starts and kisses my cheek.

I was starting to warm up now that he was so close.

"My eldest brother Jonathan had a son. The very first grandchild in the family. He was a cute kid and very smart. His name was Kaleb Grayson." He pauses at the name for a moment and I think about the fact he used his name with a past tense.

"He died from cancer when he was just five years old. No one could prevent it and my brother was destroyed. The entire family was. He was five years old and had his entire life ahead of him.

So having the gift of invention I set to work creating a new device that could block and kill cancer cells, eliminating cancer from existence.

It was known as project Kaleb and when the implant was finally created and prepared for human trials I picked the ten candidates myself.

I did not know their names. Only their ages and genders, so I picked the top ten cases which were the absolute worst and sure to die within the next few days.

I'm sure you know the rest of the story.

Five months later I discovered all ten test subject survived but they were being billed heavily for their surgeries which were my fault.

So using the money raised from the ball and my own credits, I paid off all of their medical bills and put project Kaleb into mass production. I still don't know the names of the people who received the implant."

He says and I turn my entire body around to see his smile and there were tears in his eyes.

"I feel like it's fate that one of the candidates I chose to be saved just so happened to be you, Joseph Gideon Walsh. And fate brought you to me. Without the surgery, you wouldn't have been invited to the ball and without the ball, I would have never met you." He says and I start to get tears in my eyes too.

I clasp my hands to my mouth as he continues

"I can now look at you and know you are my soulmate from everything that's happened since. I was so lonely before we met, so unhappy and stressed out with the company to inherit, my responsibly as a doctor, being constantly watched, and other things." he chokes out and his gray eyes shine silver in the moonlight.

"Joseph. I never want to go back to the world where you are not in it. It's not worth living." He says and I can feel the tears coming down my cheeks but I don't care I wrap my arms around his neck and he holds me close.

"I will never leave you Peter and I will always be by your side!" I say and he kisses my wet cheek.

"Joseph?"

he questions and I pull away to see his face. He pushes my hair out of my eyes and caresses my cheek. We stand still and the moon shines over us.

"Yes, Peter?"

I answer with a slight sniffle and his smile lights up his entire face which makes me so happy.

"Will you marry me?