The List Of Chores

It was 6 am and he still hadn't come home

 Last night was our wedding night but with the shootings that happened downtown, Peter had left me home alone on our very first night together as a married couple.

 I watched the sunrise as I sat on the back balcony. 

The tears were uncontrollable and I was trying to find words for how I felt. My knuckles turned white and I released the fist I had formed around the railing and wipe the tears from my eyes. "He's Next Generation. This is just something I have to live with." I tell myself and hear a door slam open.

 "Joseph!"

 Peter calls my name and I turn around to see him. He comes through the bedroom and breathes a sigh of relief when he sees me. 

Meanwhile, all the air escapes me when I set eyes on him. 

He was out of breath and his uniform was torn to shreds with blood dripping on to the floor.

 I clasp my hands over my mouth and let out a gasp. He gets down on his knees. I slowly come closer when he bows to me with his arms dripping with blood.

 "Joseph..." 

His voice wavers and he starts to choke on tears. 

"An apology will never get our first night together back and I know that. But I am sorry about...everything. About you being stuck with me now, about leaving you alone to fight, and the amount of responsibility I bear. I wanted to be with you so badly Joseph but they put up such a fight. I just saw your face over and over again with tears in your eyes and telling me to leave. I know I ruined what should have been the happiest day of your life and I'm sorry." 

Peter apologizes and I get down on one knee, picking up his head and seeing the gash on his forehead. I push his hair aside and see tears pouring out of those beautiful light gray eyes. 

"Peter."

 His eyes held so much guilt it almost killed me. 

"Yes?" 

I gathered all my strength. At least he was home safe. 

"What is my last name?"

 I ask as I caress his cheek with my the back of my hand.

 "...Grayson?" 

He says slowly and I help him sit up. 

"As long as I carry that name I will forever bear all of the burdens that comes with it because I chose to. Don't you dare feel guilty, I don't care as long as I have you." I say and help him up.

 He says nothing further as the pain takes over. 

"Let's get you cleaned up."

Peter lays in our large bathtub and relaxes. 

He had showered earlier to get off the blood, dirt, and grime and now just laid back in the bubbles and watched me stitch up the gash on his left arm. I had already finished up the deep one on his forehead near his hairline and was exhausted from having no sleep for two days. I tried not to let it show as I do the stitches the same way Linda had taught me. I wondered if she was doing the same for Jonathan at this very moment. 

"This is kind of sexy. Watching you attempt to stitch me up. It's adorable." He says but I continue to concentrate on the 22nd stitch.

 "What did you do at the mansion? Was there a doctor?" I asked while pulling out a few shards of glass that I missed and he closes his eyes. 

"No, my father usually did it while we explained what happened. He has a degree in both business and nursing." Peter says and lets out a deep sigh. 

"My father also has a natural healing ability that was passed down to almost all of us. This will all clear up in about two days." He says and I finally finish the last stitch. 

Leaning back against the bathroom wall I look at my poor husband. 

The bruises and stitches against his muscular frame. I felt so scrawny compared to him. I look down at my hands, imagining how I was to protect myself if someone ever came after me.

 "Hey,"

 Peter whispers and I look up at him, 

"You come here often?"

 He asks jokingly and I can't help but laugh with the exhaustion kicking in. He smiles back at me, 

"I'm okay now. Go to bed my love."

 he says and dips his head into the bubbles until it reaches just above his mouth as I stand up, stretching my arms above my head and turn to him. 

"Hmm, how about no," 

I say sitting on the edge of the tub in defiance. I pull him to me, not caring about the water splashing everywhere, I started kissing him. 

But he kisses me harder, holding the back of my head to his and gets out of the bath tub, continuing to kiss me. I feel my heart race as he sits next to me but gently pushes me against the wall. Peter pulls away for a moment to catch his breath and looks into my eyes. We stare at each other with our breathing in sync and our hearts as one as then kisses me again. 

I slowly my raise my hands to his neck, feeling every wet muscle on his abdomen on the way up and he starts to kiss my neck and slips his hands under my shirt. Gently feeling everything I had to offer with his wet hands while I close my eyes and take it in. Wherever he touched felt hot, like tiny flames dancing on my skin. He gently tugs my shirt off and pressed himself close to me with his chest against mine and I can feel the cold wall against my back. I had one foot in the tub and the other on the floor but couldn't care less as he caresses my inner thigh and I can hear myself let out a small moan. His soft lips come close to my ear as he gently whispers into it 

"I love you Joseph Grayson." 

The water from his hair drips onto my shoulder and it's as if all my senses are heightened to a new level as he pulls me in.