The Mystery Man in Gray

He stares me down with kind eyes which were either gray or a light blue

Without saying a word he takes my hand and bows, kissing the tops of my knuckles. His lips felt so soft when flush to my skin. He then proceeds to pull me out to the dance floor and grabs my waist. Linking our fingers together. We start to waltz.

"Do you wish to tell me why you have been staring at me all night and yet refused my offer to dance?" he says first while making eye contact.

His voice was smooth and proper at a medium pitch with a posh upper Bridgeport accent that was unlike my own. He definitely didn't grow up downtown, so why was he dressed so simple?

"I'm not...I'm not very good at dancing,"

I say shyly, almost too embarrassed from my comparably thick accent that's at a higher pitch. He looks down at our feet.

"Seems like you're doing perfectly fine to me." My mystery man says as he twirls me in a wide circle and makes me appear so graceful that others stare. He pulls me back to him but this time closer.

"I noticed you were staring at me too,"

I say and his dark eyebrows raise, I was even surprised by how bold I was coming off as. But he just smiles.

"So I was," he tugs at my waist and gracefully pulls me closer, "For some reason, I couldn't take my eyes off you as soon as you came down the palace stairs. So I gathered my courage and thought well I should probably get closer." he says with such confidence it takes my breath away.

We stay quiet for a few moments but there is no awkward silence between us. We just locked eyes and I studied the curves of his face and his thick black hair which was slicked back. We just swirled around the room and for the first time I wasn't embarrassed because the only person I saw in that room was him.

We got closer and closer until he was spinning me in a circle and I checked the clock. I realized it was almost midnight.

"I have to leave soon," I say but I didn't want to leave his arms. He looks up at the clock hanging from above the ballroom.

"At midnight? What are you, Cinderella now?" he says and we both laugh a little but he shocks me when he pulls me even closer and kisses my lips.

My heart was about to beat out of my chest as I closed my eyes and my legs went weak. He pulled away slowly but not completely. I was dazed as he whispered in my ear,

"We will meet again."

And then he steps back from me. Vanishing into the sea of people. It all happened so fast I had a hard time believing it was real.

Blinking in disbelief, I go to leave the palace. As I walk up the stairs I can't help but wonder if he ever will find me considering he didn't ask for my name. I think of ways to tell him who I am so he can find me.

I look around as I continue walking up, searching for anything I can use when I look down and see my pocket square which my brother had hand sewn my name on to so it didn't feel like another hand me down. I yank it out and look back. Unable to see my mystery man in gray amongst the sea of people.

Sighing as I dropped it, knowing in my heart he would never find it.