The Carriage

I wake up to the sunlight beaming in my eyes. 

I was exhausted but feeling over the moon with joy and excitement.

Peter had his arms wrapped around my waist with his head pressed against my back. He didn't get in the house until 3 am last night. It took an hour for him to bandage himself up from a rough fight before he could go to sleep.

 I look at my watch.

 It was 6 am. 

A ping would come at seven so I drift back to sleep.

I hear the small beeps and my eyes barely open as I tap on my watch and look over the message. I gasp and sit up straight reading it, again and again, to make sure I didn't misread it.

 My heart skips a beat. 

Peter moans and turns over to hide from the sun. 

"Peter!" 

I yell excitedly and he groans. I try to shake him awake but he stuffs his head into our pillow and shoves me away. 

I'm sure he meant to be gentle with his strength but instead, I'm shoved off my side of the bed.

"Ow! It burns!"

 I complain as Peter cleans up a small gash on my forehead from hitting the dresser. I sit on our kitchen counter as he applies more alcohol.

 "Stop being such a baby. This is your fault. You should know better. You've slept in the same bed as me for three years, come on now." Peter says while shaking his head and mocking me. He places some gauze and a bandage on my forehead.

 "Sorry, but I didn't think my husband would abuse me for trying to tell him our surrogate is pregnant with twins,"

 I say and his hand drops from my forehead. He looks at me and I can't help but laugh at his reaction. 

"Wait for what!" 

He shouts. I had never heard so much excitement from him.

 His mouth drops and I put my arms around his neck and kiss him. He pulls me off the counter and spins me around the room. 

"Twins!" We both shout he puts me down on the ground. 

"Did the hospital say what the gender was?" He asks and I think back. 

"Oh, I actually stopped when I read twins. Here let's see." I pull up the message and display it on the wall. Peter goes over to it and points. 

"Baby A is male, Baby B is...female," he reads and it takes him a minute to process.

 "We're going to have a little boy and girl, my love,"

 I say and he turns to me and I can tell he's trying to maintain his composure but I can't after feeling the tears in my eyes and he comes over and holds me. I was so happy and excited that I couldn't contain it. 

"My god, we're going to be parents Peter," I say into his shirt and he laughs a little. "I'm slightly more scared that there's going to be two more of us in this world," Peter whispers gently into my ear.