Chapter 19

Chapter 19

I flew to school the next day. Diana saw me coming into to first period and she seemed confused.

"Where is Kendall?" I stared at her, not knowing what to say. I couldn't tell her the real reason we broke up. She could probably see right through me. I started to think of Kendall. What was he doing now? Does he miss me? I miss him. I coughed to contain a whimper. Diana was still waiting for an answer.

"We broke up." I sat down and pulled out my notebook. Diana's green eyes were still on me.

"Are you okay?" She asked.

"Yes." I lied. She could tell that I did.

"Vivian, tell me the truth. Are you okay?"

I sighed. "No."

"Let's get out of here." She grabbed her things.

"What?" I asked.

"You heard me. It'll be hard not to relapse if you see him. I want to take you somewhere." She took my arm and led me outside.  She unlocked her car. I saw a boy with light brown hair and blue eyes coming towards us. The boy was Kendall. I moved behind Diana's car, trying to avoid him. He was clearly doing the same. Diana, however, wasn't avoiding anyone. She stared Kendall down. Kendall noticed her and waved. She didn't wave back. Kendall must have realized we were ditching because he stopped in front of Diana.

"Are you leaving?" He asked.

"Kendall, get the-"

"Diana." I warned. She stopped and glared at him.

"Viv-" He began, but Diana interrupted him.

"Go to class, Kendall. She's safe with me." Kendall looked at me for a few more seconds and then he went inside. It took everything in me not to run after him.

Diana pulled up to a yellow house. It had a flower bed out front. The windows were dark. No one was home. 

"Where are your parents?" I asked.

"I live with my sister. She adopted me when I was twelve. My parents weren't fit to take care of me." She seemed slightly sad. Then her usual giddy, happy self returned. She sauntered up to the door. Her red curls bouncing. I followed her. She unlocked the door and let me inside. It smelled like freshly picked flowers. There was a hall that led to a living room and a kitchen. She led me upstairs to her room. It was every shade of pink that you could imagine. The bed was dark pink, the walls were light pink, and the carpet was hot pink. It seemed like she loved pink just as much as I did.

"Pink's my favorite color too." I examined the room again.

"Really? It won't be hard to shop for you. When's your birthday?"

"May 16th. What about you?" 

"February 10th." She pointed to her calendar and lo and behold it was pink. February 10th was circled. I nodded. She picked up a marker and circled my birthday. Then she pulled out a DVD. It was season one of Friends.

"I love that show." I said. She popped a disk into the player and we watched. 

Hours later, we arrived at my house.

"Kingsley!" I called. She walked downstairs. 

"Hello." Kingsley greeted Diana.

"Hey, I'm Diana." They shook hands.

"So, why weren't you two in school?" Kingsley asked.

"It was my fault. I found out that Kendall and Vivian broke up and  I wanted to make her feel better." Diana stared at her.

"That's nice of you." Kingsley smiled. Diana had to go. I walked her out. When I came in, Kingsley started making me supper.

"Kingsley, I'm sorry I missed school." I stated.

"Its fine, Vee. I'm not your mother. Treat me like a friend." She brushed it off.

"How was your day?" I asked.

"Pretty good. I just talked to Vincent. We hang out a lot, especially at night. No one's up then." She pushed her blonde hair over her shoulder. 

"It's good that you have someone to hang out with."

"Can I tell you something?" She asked.

"We're friends. They can tell each other anything." I smiled at her.

"Okay." She paused. "I think I like Vincent."