27 | Went Down in New Orleans Last Night

(A/N: Some of you might not be aware that I revised chapter 4, where Lyric talks about her family.If not, you could go check that out but the jist is she isn't in foster care. Her and her sister are being raised by their grandmother after their mom dies from cancer.Okay, read on, bro!)

Lyric's POV:

I stared blankly a head of me, the red liquid soaking the concrete ground.Most of the blood was dry.Yet, all the sources to the blood weren't here.The bodies had been removed from the street.Loved ones, and friends of the deceased had taken care of each body.Everyone had left, taking their own injuries into account. Mourning those we lost.

The funerals were in an hour, yet here I stood.Where it all happened. I just couldn't comprehend why.The loss of some close people brought back the loss of my own mom.And so, I didn't necessarily want to accept it.I didn't want to recall last night's events.

If anyone saw me right now, they'd think I was crazy.A girl dressed in all black, sitting on her knees in the middle of the road, staring at a mass of blood.Luckily, I knew no one would come today.Cops were compelled to close down this street.After the funeral, vampires will come down here and clean up the blood.Then,it will be opened again.

I close my eyes, pulling memories from when I was only twelve years old.

I stared at my mom, lying in her hospital bed. They said it wouldn't be long now.The cancers consumed her, even with chemo.They're going to just let it happen.My eyes were red and puffy, as I kept trying to memorize her features so I wouldn't forget.The way her auburn air with light grey streaks from stress hung in curls, the bright hazel her eyes gleamed even in this moment on her death bed.

She stuck her hand out, reaching for me. It was my turn to say goodbye. I grasped my mother's hand gently, clinging for her comfort but trying to be brave.I couldn't stop my sobs, spilling out,"Please don't leave me, Mom, please".

"I'm sorry, my brave little soldier, I have to.It's just my time", her soft voice told me.

My tears poured harder,"No, Mom, no.I need you.Sarah needs you,Mom.You can fight this, I know you can".

She brought my hand up to her face, and kissed my knuckles holding my hand with a firmer reassuring squeeze,"Take care of your sister, and yourself. No matter how sad you feel, you can get through it.No one is truly happy, Lyric.The trick is you make yourself believe. Try to believe you will get through this, and I promise you will".

"I love you so much", I hugged her for the last time.She hugged me back, whispering the same line over and over again for a long while as I cried.Until I'd noticed she'd stopped.Her arms fell limp from around me.Machines were beeping, and then they flat-lined. Doctors rushed in, surrounding her bed.I heard one call out her death time.A few held me back.I couldn't move, I was paralyzed.

I reopen my eyes from the painful memory.My eyes pinpoint one spot in particular. The spot she died.Her blood was still smeared across the pavement, making my stomach crawl.I hadn't talked to her at all yesterday.I hadn't said goodbye to her.Never again would I hear her teasing, or hear her laugh, or make jokes to cheer me up.The memories I have left are all.I'd lost her, too.

Two vampires come at me, and I quickly make fireballs in my hand, throwing them left and right at as many as I can. I hear a familiar scream, and I whip my head to the left.A vampire was holding tightly to Scarlett.Another vampire had snuck up behind, and was literally draining the life from Scarlett. "No! No!" I heard shouts of devastation from Lola, as she noticed her sister's body hit the ground; completely still.I gasp, the scene unfolding in seconds.

Scarlett was gone.We had lost her.I hadn't known her long, but she was an amazing friend to me while I did know her.She cheered me up about Klaus.She defended me against Genevieve.She had a good sense of humor, and an even greater heart."I'll always remember Whore-Witch-Wednesday", I whisper hoarsely, a ghost of a smile on my face.