capítulo número treinta y uno ; la risa

Au Pair

All Rights Reserved

© 2017 Luna Black

~*~

I woke up, startled, to the sound of something being rattled. Like someone hitting chains against the concrete floor.

My teeth gritted in a feeble attempt to hold back the whimper that wanted to leave my lips at the pounding in my head. It felt like someone was trying to break my skull from the inside.

I slowly opened my eyes, blinking rapidly as I tried to adjust them to the darkness.

There was a dim light in the far corner, barely bright enough to light up the shithole I was currently in, but it was bright enough to allow me to see myself.

I inspected my hands and legs, making sure they still worked and groaned as the ringing in my head intensified. It was driving me crazy.

A loud clang echoed through the room, followed by heavy footsteps and a woman whimpered.

I frowned, looking up and realised that I was trapped in a cell of sorts. There were thin, steel bars surrounding me, almost like if I had been thrown inside an old prison cell.

The footsteps stopped in front of me and the man rattled the keys loudly as he looked for one to open the cell. Once the door was open, he threw the woman that was whimpering in by her hair and quickly locked the door again.

"Please!" Women all around began to chant. "Please let us go!" They shook the steel bars, making the pain in my head intensify at the cringeworthy noise and I quickly covered my ears.

I was in too much pain and too tired to beg anyone to let me go, let alone fight my way out. I was crazy, not stupid.

The woman next to me groaned, rubbing her head and spat away from me. She wiped her bruised knuckles against her bloodied mouth and eyed me curiously with eyes inhumanly bright.

"Where are we?"

I was the first one to speak after the room silenced. The women no longer begged to be released, they just cried softly, begging to any god for help.

She shrugged, wincing in pain and held her shoulder. "A prison of sorts, but I'm unsure of the location."

I didn't say anything else for a couple of seconds. I was trying to remember what happened, but my memory was blurred, hazy.

I remembered getting ready to meet Luca for our date and I remember seeing my bïtch of a sister try and seduce him. At the thought, I quickly tried to ignore all the what ifs that entered my mind.

I should've stayed and fought her, maybe none of this would've happened.

Then, there was the man that kept calling me Veronica. I didn't understand anything he was saying, I just knew it had nothing to do with me and he needed to let me go.

That's where my memory grows hazy. It's where I can no longer determine what happened or what was part of my imagination.

I knew he covered my mouth with something and suddenly I was consumed by darkness. Then I woke up in whatever hell I was in.

I cleared my throat. "What happened to you?"

It was clear she'd been here for a few days. Pretty red hair that was probably shiny at one point was tangled with blood and dirt, and bruises painted skin that should have been pale and unblemished.

She was quiet for a bit, still eyeing my curiously, as if determining if I was trustworthy enough. "Ulysses."

I shook my head, not understanding. "What about him?"