el epílogo

Au Pair

All Rights Reserved

© 2017 Luna Black

~*~

"Cariño?" Luca whispered softly, caressing the side of my cheek gently until my eyes fluttered open.

"Mm?" I was beyond exhausted.

Lucas had kept me up all night. He had woken up a total of seven times because he didn't like sleeping in his bassinet. Luca helped as much as he could, but Lucas absolutely loved to sleep on my chest.

The only way I could move him to the bassinet and get him to drift off was to pat his bum. I think that all the moving he did in my womb really spoiled him.

"I burped him and changed his diaper already."

"Thank you," I murmured, sleepily. My eyes were almost crossing as I struggled to look up at him.

He let out a soft chuckle and kissed my forehead gently. "Even when your eyes are crossing, I find you to be the most beautiful woman."

I grabbed his hand, pulling him down on the bed and groaned, "Shush and cuddle me. I'm tired and you have to leave for work in a couple of hours."

"I actually should leave for work in a couple of minutes," he nuzzled his nose against the side of my cheek and held my waist tightly.

I pouted my lips and turned to face him. "What time is it?"

"6:30."

"Ugh," I groaned, "it's still dark outside!"

Luca laughed quietly, careful not to wake the baby. "Daylight saving time does that, cariño."

"Well fück them," I mumbled into the pillow and then sighed. "Okay, give me a kiss and go to work."

He kissed my shoulder gently. "Do you want me to stay in today?"

I shook my head. "You've stayed in a lot this past week. It's okay, just go."

"I'm my own boss, cariño, I go to work when I need to."

I smiled. "You know I absolutely love you, right? I don't think I'll ever get tired of reminding you."

Luca grinned, kissing the side of my hand when I caressed his cheek. "Do you want me to stay in?"

"It's okay," I repeated, "go to work. We'll just go visit Mrs. Maggie."

He nodded and gave me one last kiss before walking out the door.

That's how the first couple of months as new parents went. We tried to share most of the work, but there was something about me that Lucas adored. Probably being in my womb for 8 months...

Thankfully, his behaviour changed for the better. He also grew quickly and left me surprised with every little thing he did.

Our favourite game was la manita. I simply would turn my hand side to side and sing "La linda manita que tiene el bebe. Que linda, que bella, que preciosa es." Lucas adored it and hearing his little melodious giggles filled my heart.

I was totally in love with my son and words couldn't do my love for him any justice. His beautiful blue eyes and his gummy smile had me smitten.

I knew that as a mother, I was biased and thought my child was beautiful no matter what. But the first couple of days that we spent together, I was a little surprised at how strange he looked.

His eyes were puffy and beady. His skin had tiny red blotches all over and his nose was a little flat. Truth be told, he looked like a little alien. And I laughed every time I looked at him.