twenty four

STANDING IN FRONT of the mirror, a smile of satisfaction grows on Lea's face

STANDING IN FRONT of the mirror, a smile of satisfaction grows on Lea's face. Her hair is beautifully tied into a braid that runs along either side of her shoulders. She wears a dress, that hits inches above her knee, a soft shade of blue that brings out the color of her eyes.

Her phone rings all of a sudden and she picks it up to realize that it is Connor calling. He had offered to pick her up and drive her to the wedding even after a countless number of times where she told him that he didn't have to feel obliged but he offered nevertheless.

Lea had known Connor since she was a child and it was almost acceptable to say that the two had grown up together. His family were good friends with hers, so she didn't have a choice except to show that they were good when in fact, they actually were.

His voice relieves out of the phone and a sense of calmness flushes through her body at the entry of his voice. He tells her that he's waiting for her downstairs and that she needs to rush up before the ceremony starts. She grabs her bag, obeying him, and runs downstairs instantly. A familiar black car enters into view and she wastes no time hopping into it to meet an ever so familiar smile that was Connor's.

She sits beside him, a smile directed at her just like old times. "Is that intentional, Lea?" He breaks out of the blue. "You know I've always loved when you tied your hair that way."

A trace of a blush creeps into her cheeks as she thanks him with a smile. "Thank you, Connor."

They stay silent the whole time, a wave of awkward tension tugging at them but Lea manages to ease the tension between them by shooting him a few smiles. She sits elegantly, her arms folded on her legs with her purse sandwiched between them. He focuses his eyes on the road and when he doesn't, he looks at her, being her beautiful and composed self which causes him to grow a trace of a blush on his cheeks.

They reach the place in a few minutes and she watches people make their way into the building. Colorful, bright dresses blind her eyes with the sun and a smile spreads on Lea's face realizing that it is the first wedding she's attended in ages. Lea always loved weddings.

She found something beautiful about the way two people decided to spread their love to people they loved and it was always a wonder, looking at the couple so in love with each other. Weddings were the only thing that made her feel like love still existed even if it was only for a short amount of time, but all those things didn't matter.

Connor escorts her towards her seat, shooting his kind smile to people on the way. He wears a black suit that hugs his body perfectly and Lea couldn't help but think that he looks beautiful, like she always did. His hair is slicked back with a trace of gel stinging on the roots and he looks perfectly complete with a gorgeous smile on his face.

"Lea," he blurts, shifting his gaze to meet hers. "Will you do something for me?"

"Anything, Connor," she smiles.

He rubs the back of his neck nervously and squeezes his eyes, setting his lips into a thin line. He removes her from his hold only to cup her hand so that he can squeeze it. "Will you be my date for the day?"

A faint chuckle escapes from Lea's lips. "Yes, I will," she says enthusiastically. "It's your sister's wedding, after all."

Relief floods through his features as he watches her smile, realizing that she always had her way to make things easier. His eyes shine as she shoots her smile at him and he dramatically bows down to thank her that forces her to chuckle.

The ceremony is beautiful, garden-themed with beautiful summer flowers hanging all around the place. The scent of flora fills the air mingled with the flow of the breeze around them. Lea takes her own time admiring the beauty of the decorations that they managed to accomplish and it takes her surprise as she realizes that the wedding is perfect.

Weddings are supposed to be perfect, after all.

People stand up around her as the bride - wearing a gorgeous, beautiful white dress - steps into the aisle with a shy smile playing on her lips. Lea always thought Anna was beautiful, but with a wedding attire wrapped around her, it was impossible to not stare at her in wonder.

Most people would look at the bride when she walked into the aisle but Lea's gaze always ricocheted to look at the groom, who looked at the bride like he was looking at her for the first time.

She turns her neck to look at the groom, John, and watches him smile nervously, his eyes melting at the eye contact of the two. He chuckles nervously, amazed by wonder at the beauty of his woman to be and it was almost like one could see the love in his eyes, if that made any sense.

The ceremony comes to an end in a matter of time as the sky starts to grow darker. People shuffle through their seats, greeting each other and Lea walks to the tables where a few people are flowing in.

The candlelight illuminates the lake that stands in front of the tables and the newly wed couple engage themselves in taking their pictures.

Consumed by the cold around her, she walks towards the lake, to arm herself around the silence and the love that surrounds her. She wraps her arms around her, managing to confine her body warmth when a smooth material touches her skin and she brings her neck to meet Connor's brown eyes.

"Hey," she greets him with a smile that causes him to flinch. "Thank you, I was feeling cold," she adds placing his coat in a position such that she covers herself properly.

"I noticed," he smiles and stands next to her in his white shirt, with his sleeves rolled up halfway. "The wedding was beautiful, wasn't it?"

"It was," she gushes. "Anna looked so gorgeous and the wedding was everything she wanted it to be since she was a child. I remember us playing brides and bridesmaids back in third grade but look at us now, she's getting married and it's like everything's flying so fast."

She sits on the nearby chair and Connor follows her lead, sitting next to her. People are far away, mingled in subtle conversations and greetings but these two sit alone, staring at the way the water reflects the lights, devoured in silence and succumbed under a pressure of nostalgia.

"Lea," she calls her, his voice soft and deep. "Do you want to dance with me?"

A smile creeps on her lips as she nods silently, getting up from her seat to meet him in his hands. They chuckle as he brings her to the floor such that he was holding her waist, so carefully as though she were precious and she gets lost in a reminiscent feeling where they danced to a song on the radio for the first time.

"This reminds me of the time we danced in third grade," Connor breaks the silence. "I remember wanting to dance with Gabriella and I asked you to teach me," he chuckles. "You were so jealous, you actually avoided me the whole week and that was when I realized that you had a crush on me. Ah, those times."

"I know right," she smiles shyly. "The memories are beautiful. Sometimes I feel like I could be a kid again just so I could revisit the memories because we grew up so fast. Time flew so fast."

She opens her mouth to continue but Connor snakes his neck closer to her, causing her to flinch as he closes her mouth with his own.