twenty nine

PEOPLE FLOOD AROUND the place, their arms holding bouquets of flowers

PEOPLE FLOOD AROUND the place, their arms holding bouquets of flowers. They take their respective seats, covered in black and Lea walks to where Alec is sitting, her stomach whining with nervousness.

He wears a black suit, nearly ironed and put but he doesn't look complete. He welcomes her with a smile as he watches her sit next to him and his hand immediately crawls into hers, holding it tight.

People talk about Deborah Hawthorne, how great a person she was, how beautiful a mother she was. Alec's dad talks about how they met in high school and how instantly he realized that she was the one and that somehow things had to end eventually and that people had no say in it.

The process gets over in a couple minutes and Lea watches Alec stand in front of his mother's grave, his eyes dark and sad. She walks to him and cups her hand in his and holds it tight. He looks at her hopelessly and removes the hold only to give her space to hug his arm so that she could bury her face in his shoulder.

"She's gone," he whispers, breaking their silence.

Winds blow through them, making her hair dance synchronically. She hears the sound of the trees rustling, the swiftness of the wind and the silence of the graves. It looks haunting, the silence is creepy but for some reason, she realizes that silence is what confines a man after his death. Not coffins or the amount of love people offer them. Silence. For there is no better friend than silence.

She inhales a sharp breath, resting her neck on his shoulders, making her hold on his arm even tighter. She feels footsteps walk closer to her and she slowly lifts her neck to meet Bash.

She looks at him hopelessly and lifts her other hand to draw him closer and he does, engulfing his hand in hers. The three of them stand like that for a while, consumed by nothing but profound silence and they do not remember how long they stood that way but it was long.

●●●

A/N: I'm sorry for the short chapter. I could have continued but it felt right to leave it that way. Deborah Hawthorne needed her respect. 

Until the next chapter,
Spread the love, Nova x