thirty nine

WRAPPING A WARM COAT coat around her body, Lea picks her bag that lies on the bed after putting her mobile phone into her pocket

WRAPPING A WARM COAT coat around her body, Lea picks her bag that lies on the bed after putting her mobile phone into her pocket. Leighton carries the other bags and Carrie helps her with cleaning the room.

The doctors stated that Lea was finally fine and healthy to be discharged. The girls were helping her clean up the room. Her mother's condition was still stable and Lea promised herself to would visit her every day. She had informed Benjamin the news earlier and to say that he was shocked would be an understatement. He rode to New York as soon as possible to meet her and assured Lea that he would take care of her.

It was only after she met him at the hospital, she realized that things weren't quite as fine between them as she expected them to be. The two of them had their rough nights as they were both too busy with their lives to be taking care of each other but they understood each other, the one thing that kept them going all along.

"All set," Leighton says, carrying the bag.

"I'll say bye to Benjamin. I'll meet you guys at the front door," Lea says and two nods follow it.

She slowly walks to the room where her mother rests to see a familiar face that greets her with just the amount of enthusiasm that Lea needed. "Lea, hi," Ben says.

"Hi," she smiles back. "Any better?"

"No," he adds, a frown covering his face. "Still stable. The doctors just visited her. Said she could wake up in a week or two."

"Oh my god," Lea chants, bringing her hands to her chest. "Really? That's the best thing I've heard all day."

"Yeah," he sighs. "We could keep our fingers crossed."

The phone that hides in her pocket buzzes and Lea could tell it's Leighton calling her out of impatience. "Um," she gulps. Walking to her mother, she brushes a strand of her hair. She looks at her mother, lying so beautifully, her skin pale and lifeless. "I'll be back, Mom," she says and plants a kiss on her cheek. "I love you."

Before a tear would escape out of her eyes, she walks out of the room without bidding Ben a proper goodbye. She walks to the place where Leighton is waiting and a gush of relief spreads over her to realize that she was finally free to leave the hospital as a patient after five whole days.

Lea has always hated hospitals.

"Babe," Leigh adds. "You're ready to go."

"I know," Lea nods with a smile. "Where are we going right now? Straight to our room? I wouldn't mind getting a cup of coffee. God, I miss coffee," she sighs.

Carrie clears her throat. "Actually," she adds. "We're picking up your things and going to the room while you're going out with Alec. It's so unfair. That poor guy wanted to see you but he ended up spending time at the hospital buying you medicines and taking care of your mother and you. That's why Carrie and I decided that you go out with him while we take care of things."