(3.2) Young Heart

Hello?" A single word that rung out through the quiet of the compound, shattering the silence that had been set forth by the Mikaelsons in the past four months. Turning away from the window, Eden pushed a lock of hair behind her ear as she waited to see if she recognized the voice.

"Klaus?" Eden gritted her teeth together, now realizing that the voice belonged to none other than Camille O'Connell. From what Klaus had told Eden, he had sent her away the same night that Haven left after she guiltily blamed herself of Haven's supposed death.

Walking from her child's unused room, she glanced down at the human from behind the beam. With Eden's new eyes, she could see that Camille's hair had grown in just the slightest, something that she knew her human eyes would have never caught.

Cami headed toward the stairs, her heels clicking against the stone floors as she looked at the stairway railing that had been ripped off by Jana just the day before. As Eden watched, she saw her pause as she rubbed the back of her neck; though Eden assumed that had something to do with her fiancée standing behind her, watching the human as well.

"Klaus?" She repeated turning around only to see that the hybrid was now gone. From above her, Eden could see Klaus take his new position directly across from Eden on the opposite side of the balcony. He watched her walk up the steps before turning briefly to glance at Eden. When their eyes interlocked, he parted his lips briefly as if to say something but then closed his mouth and disappeared from her sight.

"Klaus I know you're here somewhere. We need to talk." Camille insisted. Eden crossed her arms, leaning against the beam as Elijah appeared around the corner.

"He doesn't wish to see you." Elijah said softly. Cami whipped around at the sound of his voice, setting her face into a hard expression.

"Elijah, where the hell did you come from?" Eden raised an eyebrow.

"I beg your pardon? Aren't you the one who's trespassing? He doesn't care much for conversation these days. And he certainly wouldn't care for the fact that you put yourself in danger by coming here." He told her.

"I'm already in danger." Cami countered. "I have Guerrera's following me like it's a police state. The city is being run by gangsters and you guys aren't doing anything about it. Marcel took them out one hundred years ago without you, don't you think he might be up for lending a hand?" Eden snorted quietly, and though Elijah heard it, he made no move to acknowledge it.

"I'm sorry, that you think that this family is incapable of feeling any emotions. But I can assure you, that taking back to Quarter at this particular moment is the last thing on anyone's mind while my brother and the mother of his child grief the loss of their daughter." Camille paused momentarily, her eyes roaming around the compound quickly as though looking for said couple.

"How is she? Eden? I know that the loss of a child can't be easy and I couldn't imagine how she felt-" Elijah took a small step forward.

"She feels like she is a failure to her daughter. She doesn't want to leave this house, and neither do the rest of us. So you'll have to excuse us if we don't seem like the more hospitable crowd in our current situation." At his tone, Eden pushed her arms down and backed away from the scene as she went back to her room, finding Klaus standing in front of the window that was across from their large bed.

"The girl misses you." Eden spoke quietly, going to sit on the bed. Klaus made no move to answer her, and for a while they sat in silence. Finally, after what felt like a lifetime of silence, Eden decided to speak again.

"Niklaus, you of all people know that I am not the biggest fan of Camille, but it is clear that while you are trying to keep her safe, it's also clear that you seem to miss her friendship." Eden commented, standing up and walking over to where her fiancée stood. Klaus turned to glance at her, and he saw that Eden was giving him a look that he did not see on her very often: defeat.

"You're upset." Klaus guessed, and Eden nodded her head slightly.

"Can you blame me Niklaus? Try as I might to imitate whatever you have going on with the O'Connell woman, it is very clear that the two of you have a relationship that we will never have. It's discouraging to my young heart." Klaus opened his mouth to speak and Eden put a finger over his lips.

"You don't need to assure me of anything Nik. I know better than to be so insecure as to think that there is anything going on between the two of you. Camille just seems to offer you some things that I cannot right now, and I'm okay with that. If you need to mourn Haven with someone other than me, I won't stop you." She told him, and she truly meant it.

Eden would be a fool to believe that Klaus would always only come to her about any of his problems. It was just not a reasonable thing for him to do. She knew that there were things that he relaid to Elijah, as well as Marcel, and unfortunately Cami. These people were older than her and though Cami was only a mere five or so years older than her, Eden was coming to understand that every day meant something in her now immortal march of time. Eden's soul was still young, and though the loss of her daughter had aged her a little, she was still not yet capable of fully understanding all of Klaus' actions, despite thinking in the past that she did. Klaus said nothing, but instead placed his hand under Eden's chin and brought it up to place a simple kiss on her lips. It was a small one, but it was still nice all the same and when Eden pulled away she felt a little better than she had previously.

"You're growing up on me, love." Klaus commented quietly, and Eden gave a hollow chuckle.

"I cannot be a trophy wife forever." She replied jokingly, running her hand down his shoulder before entwining their hands together to swing it lazily. Klaus watched the small movement, smiling slightly when the ring hit the setting sun and shun beautifully across the room. The light bounced off every surface in the room and soon covered the pair in its gleaming light.

Klaus was proud of this ring. In the following hours before his daughter's birth, he had compelled a young vampire to travel to his secret vault in Volterra to bring him back every single ring that he had stashed away. When the vampire had made it back into town, Klaus had wiped his memory and whisked away with Elijah for about an hour as the two brothers spoke of which of the thirty rings suited the brunette better. Elijah argued that Eden was not the type for flashy jewelry and recommended they make a quick trip to Sri Lanka where Elijah kept his stash. He suggested that the human would prefer something from his vault as they were less flashy and more intimate. Klaus refused, telling his older brother that his Eden only deserved the best, and to him, the bigger the better. So Klaus went with a ring that he had acquired sometime during the nineteen-twenties. The band was silver, and in the center was a large diamond about the third of the size as the necklace that Eden wore. Holding it in place were two diamond encrusted wreaths that were comfortably wrapped around the back of the band with the inside engraved with the name 'Eden Mikaelson' on the left side, and 'Always and Forever' on the right. Klaus was not sure if his fiancee had noticed the small detail, but he was sure she would love it none the less.

"Penny for your thoughts?" Eden whispered, breaking the hybrid from his thought. Klaus shrugged, looking up at the girl.

"I was thinking, about us." Klaus said, and it wasn't a lie.

"What about us?" Eden asked quietly.

"I was wondering, when do you feel it is an appropriate time to begin planning the ceremony?" This wasn't exactly what Klaus was thinking, but it also wasn't something that he wasn't thinking about, because it was. Eden hesitated, glancing down at the ring as well before looking behind her to where her daughter's empty room was.

"As soon as we can bring her home, I will marry you." She answered finally, which she didn't think was a horrible request. She wanted to marry Klaus, there was no doubt about that in her mind, but Eden also wanted to hold her daughter in her arms. She wanted it a lot more if she were being honest with herself. And she would not be able to celebrate a moment of happiness if her daughter was not there to celebrate it with her, even if she could not remember. Klaus, on the other hand, sent Eden a sympathetic look.

"Is that your only request?" The hybrid asked her, and Eden nodded her head.

"Bring our daughter home Niklaus, and I will be your wife."