(3.4) Witch Hunt

Klaus strolled through the compound quietly. He was stuck in thought about the things that had been occurring these past few nights, or rather what hadn't been occurring.

Eden was now more distant than ever. For a moment, Klaus had thought that she was angry with him for a reason he was not sure of. But as he saw her repeatedly cuddle up to him in her sleep, he assumed that it could only be some other external force that was making her seem this way.

Elijah had been in his ear nonstop about "reaching" Eden, and it wasn't like Klaus wasn't trying. He made sure that the young hybrid was trained in the art of combat, he would hunt with her, and he made sure that she knew how to kill without feeding. Not to mention the fact that the two had sex almost nonstop these days. What else could Klaus do to ensure that Eden did not feel alone?

"...Yes Dimitri, I keep telling you that I'm okay." Klaus heard suddenly. Raising an eyebrow and straining his ears to hear the conversation more, Klaus listened in on Eden's quiet conversation with her brother.

"Come on Eden, cut it out. You can lie to everyone in New Orleans, but I know you. I can hear it in your voice Eden, what's wrong?" Stiles prodded, and Klaus heard Eden sigh.

"I'm a monster Dimitri." Eden whispered into the phone, and Klaus had never heard her voice so...defeated.

"Come on Eden, don't say that. You didn't choose to be what you are, neither of us did." There was a movement that Klaus realized was Eden shifting on whatever surface she was sitting on.

"Stiles I killed people. I killed people and now I can't think about anything but if Haven saw me this way..." A sob escaped Eden's mouth and Klaus sucked in a small breath. "I know that the Mikaelsons do it all the time but I can't be that person." She cried. Stiles let out a sigh.

"Eden no one thinks that you enjoy killing people. And the fact that you admit that you hate it proves that you still have your humanity." Stiles paused for a beat. "Everything that you have done, it's all for your daughter Eden, remember that okay? Everything is for Haven." Eden let out a deep breath, pausing as she collected herself.

"You're right." She breathed out. "How is she?" Eden whispered, and Klaus found himself leaning in to listen as well.

"We haven't seen her since last month so I can't give you any extreme details but I can tell you that if possible, she's gotten even more beautiful in the time since we first saw her." Stiles told her.

"Is she, is she happy?" Eden whispered.

"She's the happiest baby I've ever met. When you make her laugh, she does this little thing with her nose and it's the cutest." Stiles took a beat of silence. "You guys did a great job on her E." Klaus smiled at the sound of this. He was vaguely aware that Eden's brother and girlfriend had seen the baby once or twice but he's never heard them talk about her.

Figuring that now was as good a time as any, Klaus walked toward where he had heard the conversation and surprisingly found himself back in their shared room, only she was not inside it. Instead, he heard her speaking from above him and as a quick afterthought, he walked out to the balcony and jumped up, landing gracefully on his feet as he saw Eden on the phone next to a bottle of whiskey. When Eden saw him, she gave him a hollow smile.

"Stiles, I'll call you back in a bit okay?" From the other end, he heard her brother agree before she ended the call and stared up at Klaus from where she was sitting. Hesitating, Klaus took a seat next to Eden, staring at the sun as it set over the sky. They were quiet for a while, both of them just watching the sun get lower and lower.

"You cannot think that I am not a monster while you are Eden, my atrocities have long stretched over the years and everything you've done was for a purpose." Klaus said quietly after he could no longer take the silence. Eden sighed, she was not surprised that Klaus had heard her conversation with her brother, but she was hoping that he wouldn't have.