(3.10) The Matriarch

"Why don't you say what you came here to say? So this wretched night can end." Klaus asked Esther, a look of utter disgust in his eyes as he watched his mother from across the table. Eden herself had sunken into an anxious silence, still a little off put by Finn's comment from fifteen minutes ago.

"It pains me that you and Elijah look at me with such disdain," She paused for a beat, turning her head slightly to the left to face Eden. "Even you Eden, and yet you have only known me for a short while." Eden held her chin up slightly, though she didn't respond to the girl's comments. As Esther saw Eden's silence, her eyes danced in amusement before she turned to face her sons again.

"I wish you could see that every act has been to protect you." Eden rolled her eyes. Compared to Esther, Selena was mother of the year.

"You actually believe that, don't you?" Klaus smirked, "I knew you were a liar, but it seems that you're utterly delusional to match."

"If you can, forget the hatred that you cling to, and remember all the times I've mended and healed you." Klaus chuckled and Esther looked to her second oldest.

"Elijah, do you recall the day that Niklaus challenged Mikael to a duel? Did I leave your brother to die alone? What did I say to you when you came to me and asked me to help him?" She asked Elijah.

"That you would rather die than watch any of your children suffer." He remembered quietly. Klaus frowned, his face settling into a hard line. Eden reached for his leg under the table, her fingertips just barely grazing his leg. She had no knowledge on if it eased any of his ire, but she at least wanted to let him know that she was here for him.

"The necklace." He whispered. "It wasn't spelled to protect me, it made me weak." He spat out. 

"I sought to protect you from yourself." Esther corrected. "If you would've killed your father in that duel or anyone else in the course of your life you would have activated your curse." Klaus slammed his hand against the table suddenly, causing his bride to jump in fright. Eden regained her composure quickly, rubbing her fingers against her bracelet.

"You ruined me. You left me to suffer at the hands of a father who only valued strength." He accused.

"I kept you from becoming a beast for as long as I possibly could." Esther defended.

"Oh, you lied to me to hide your own transgression because of your own fears." He countered, slamming his fist against the table again as he stood to his feet. "My whole life I sought the approval that I was denied by the man that I thought was my father. You turned me into the weakling he hated!" Esther put her head down in shame.

"Look at me!" Klaus screamed, all but on the verge of tears. Eden threw her napkin down, standing to her feet as she tried to place a calming hand on Klaus' shoulder only for him to push her off.

"You rant and rage about the monster I have become but you Mother, you are the author of everything I am." He seethed. Esther was quiet, a beat too long for Eden's liking. When her brown eyes met the sight of Esther, she found that the teen's body she was inhabiting was now lying unconscious in Elijah's arms.

"What happened?" Eden asked, breaking the silence.

"She's gone." Elijah murmured. Dropping the body of the girl, Elijah made a move towards Finn, only to be stopped when he hurled the vampire across the room. Eden picked up the knife, launching it at the witch just as her fiancee had done not even an hour ago. Finn stopped the knife effortlessly, grabbing hold of it and throwing it back, just in time for it to make its home in Eden's shoulder blade. The hybrid growled, pulling the knife out with a grunt as she charged forward, only to be stopped when Finn twisted his arm around and her head snapped to the side, breaking her neck.