(3.41) The Missing Mikaelson

"I can't do this." Eden repeated to herself for about the fourth time that morning. She had been tossing and turning all night in lieu of sleeping because she could not for the life of her think of a way that she would be able to compel her parents.

"Jana can't be the one to compel everyone Eden, that isn't fair to her." Klaus reminded her gently as he bounced Haven on his lap. Eden groaned, and let her head fall into her arms as she sat at the desk of her vanity.

"They're never going to be compelled, Selena has always been able to see through my lies." Eden grumbled from her arms and Klaus chuckled before picking Haven up and walking across the room to put a hand on her shoulder.

"You'll do fine luv, and no one said that they have to forget you." He reminded her but Eden shook her head.

"Yeah but it's also not fair to lie to them and say we're overseas." Eden rebuked but Klaus shrugged his shoulders as he moved into the nursery to grab the stuffed rabbit that had been in Haven's crib to give to her. Settling the baby in the playpen, Klaus went back to his conflicted wife.

"So the alternative would be that we then tell your parents that you and I are the most dangerous creatures in the world, that their granddaughter is not only a hybrid, but in fact a tribrid. As well as telling them that their niece is undead and sucks blood and your father has passed along a curse that would turn his offspring into children of the moon if they ever killed someone." Klaus told her, to which Eden pretended to hesitate.

"Might not sound so bad if you're the one that tells them." Eden said, peeking out from her dark hair innocently. Klaus chuckled before he sat Eden up in her chair to face him. Gently, he cupped her face in both of his hands before he spoke.

"Eden sweetheart, a part of living this life is knowing that there will come a time when you will have to say goodbye." Eden sighed, biting her lip.

"I don't want to say goodbye to them though." Eden admitted softly. Klaus gave her a sympathetic look.

"This isn't permanent Kitten, but the wedding is over, and life goes on. We still have a city to protect and with Finn and Dahlia running around, I can't guarantee that we can keep them safe. They need to be home and they won't leave if you show any trace that something is wrong." Klaus was right; Eden knew this. But Eden had actually started to like having her family around. At least her brother. Eden knew that while her and Stiles were still slightly awkward around each other, things had gotten so much better since he was sent down here.

"Will you come with me?" She requested to which Klaus gave her a sad smile before shaking his head.

"You must do this alone, they are after all, your parents." Placing a kiss on her nose, Klaus stood up and Eden stuck her tongue out at his back.

"They're your in-laws." She grumbled before she squared her shoulders and stood up. She would do what she needed to if it meant protecting her family and though she hated every second of what she was about to do, she would go through with it.

* * *

Eden's heart was heavy. She had just sent her family off with the false lie that Klaus and her were moving overseas on an assignment that Klaus had been given by the military. This was an obvious lie, but Eden knew that this was going to be the best chance she had at not inciting too many questions as to why Eden didn't call more.

With Eden's baby in her hands, the mother sighed. She wanted very badly to end this everlasting feud with Klaus' family so that she would be able to fully enjoy the joys of motherhood. Though it seemed like every time Eden let her guard down, her in-laws were ready to swoop in to corrupt either her own or her husband's life.