(3.52) The Reveal

The night was cold; humid in the way that only New Orleans could be. The moon shone full and bright, a perfect contrast to the many smalls stars that were dancing across the sky. From a distance, you could hear the various sounds of the swamp lands. Most of the sounds were normal on a night like this, save for the whimpering child that lay in her mother's arms.

Eden had found her daughter in an abandoned truck on the side of the road. The door to the vehicle was open and Haven was wailing, but safe in the backseat. It was a miracle she was considering the howling Eden had heard on the way to find her. That, coupled with the sight of moon told Eden all that she needed to know and sent Eden into a frenzy. Eden had examined her for any signs of mistreatment but when the mother saw Haven was alright, her heart was able to beat again.

"You found her." A voice said from Eden's right. Snapping her head in that direction, Eden calmed when she saw that it was Klaus. Releasing a breath she had been holding, Eden shifted.

"Yeah, she's okay. Just a little grumpy." Eden told him, holding the baby out for Klaus to see. Klaus smiled, letting Haven wrap her tiny fist around his finger.

"Everything's going to be okay, I promise." He murmured to Haven. Eden had been so caught up in their little family moment that she hadn't seen a certain witch make her reappearance.

"And there she is." Dahlia stated calmly as she watched the trio with bored expression. Instinctively, Eden held Haven closer to herself. Klaus subtly stepped in front of the pair, shielding the two from Dahlia's view.

"She's such a beautiful child." Dahlia complimented, her eyes narrowing in suspicion."It must not have been easy betraying your family." Klaus hummed.

"I will not see my daughter handed over like the spoils of some war. To that end I remind you of our promise." Eden clutched Haven closer and took a step back.

"We aren't handing her over at all Nik. What did you promise her?" She asked her husband, a feeling of dread washing over her. She had already lost her friends and her family, she couldn't take that both Haven would be taken away and Klaus would let her down as well.

"I'm sorry." Dahlia apologized. "It was to my understanding that Klaus had already made the terms clear."

"Your job is to protect and mentor Haven, drawing only what power from her that you require to keep her safe." Klaus reminded Dahlia, ignoring the daggers that Eden was staring into his back. Glancing to her her left, she vaguely wondered if she could just take the baby and run. Surely, she could outrun Dahlia and she could always snap Klaus' neck to put a bit of distance between the two. It was better than the option that others had picked for her.

"I will bond with her first. Once I can channel Haven's power, I will be able to keep her safe from all harm. Always under my protection." She took a step toward Eden and the hybrid took one back. Klaus brought his arm up to stop her from advancing forward and the witch looked surprised.

"I think not." Klaus stopped. Breathing out a sigh of relief, Eden thanked her husband for finally regaining common sense. "You offered an alliance that would benefit my daughter. Now you wish to link to her even though you suffer from that sleep spell. I will not lose my daughter to your affliction." He said.

"I will use her power to free myself, as I said." Dahlia reminded him.

"And if you fail, or Haven's not strong enough? She is only a child. I will not condemn her to your fate. Not when there is so obvious an alternative." To this Eden spoke up.

"Niklaus what are you offering her?" Klaus grinned.

"If you require power to be immortal without the need to sleep for centuries then why not channel one who already has an eternal life?" He mused. Immediately understanding what Klaus was implying, Eden refused this offer.