24. Father & Daughter

Mia.

My eyes opened to a bright light, causing them to shut immediately.

"Mia, wake up please," I heard a voice say as I tried adjusting my eyes to the light ahead of me.

Dad?

"Dad?" I said, speaking my thoughts out loud.

"Hi sweetheart," he said.

The cuts along his face and abdomen had disappeared. He looked as if nothing had happened to him.

"W-what happened?" I asked, and he just smiled at me.

"You don't have to stay here Mia. You can go. You don't have to stay with me," he mumbled and I was confused at his words.

"W-what are you t-talking about," I choked out and he just shook his head.

"You can go home. You can have a better life. Don't come with me please."

"I-I don't know what you're saying."

"Just go.  I love you Mia.  I'm sorry for everything."

Just then he started pulling away from me. His appearance fading away with each step he took backwards.

"Dad."

"Goodbye Mia. I'll see you soon...in good time."

With that he was gone, and I was left alone. With no one else around me. Just stuck in this white abyss with no one. Shawn wasn't here, and he was the last person I remember seeing.

Was that the last time I would ever see him?  It can't be, can it?

Then, just like my father, my body started getting pulled in another direction.  I looked down at my hand to see them start fading from me.

I was fading away until the next thing I saw, was darkness.

~~~

Another light hit me, this time I knew what it was.  I was able to recognize my surroundings, but most importantly, the person who was holding me.

"S-Shawn," I mumbled, and his hand tightened around mine.

"I-I'm here baby.  I-I'm here," he said pulling me close to him, making me aware that he's been crying.

"W-what happened?" I said, holding onto his hand as if I was afraid he would go somewhere.

"I-it's a long story that I can't explain."

"W-where's Lisa?"

"Dead."

"W-wh-what?"

"The police found us down in that basement, and they killed her."

"W-why?"

"Look, Mia, I can't tell you more. It's too much for you to handle.  I just want you to rest please."

"Shawn?"

"Yes love?"

"W-who was that blonde woman? She sounded just like Lisa, and I just-"

"That was my mother Mia."

"Your mother?"

"Yes."

"But your mother is dead."

"Now she is."

"What do you mean?"

"Lisa was my mother. I just didn't know it."

"I don't understand."

"The less you know the better Mia."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes.  I just don't want you to get involved in anymore of this. I want you to keep being safe."

"And I want to be safe too."

"I'll keep it that way, I promise."

"Will you take me home?"

"Yes, I'll take you anywhere you want to go. I'm not leaving you Mia."

"Shawn?"

The way he looked at me made my heart sink. I didn't know what I was about to do, but I had to. He had to hear it.

If he wants me to be safe, doing this will guarantee that. If he loves me he'll let me do this.

"T-this was a mistake.  I c-can't do this."

"W-what are you talking about," he said, and I could tell he was swallowing more tears.

"I'll do it."

"Do what? Mia, you're scaring me."

"You know I love you right," I said, holding his hand tighter than before.

"Of course, and I love you, now what are you talking about?"

"And you know anything I do is because I love you right?"

His face started to drop as I said this.  I could feel both of our hearts tearing little by little.

"Mia, please don't tell me what I think you're going to."

"I love you Shawn. I always have from the first day I met you. I know you love me, and from me doing this, it's for the best."

"Mia, please."

"I need to do this.  Not only for me, but for you."

"Mia, I love you."

"If I stay, I don't know if I'll be hurt again. I can't risk that, and I know you don't want that for me either."

"Please, I'll keep you safe I promise."

"I need this Shawn."

With that, I pulled him closer to me, making our lips touch one last time before I said the four words I never thought I would say.

"I'll sign the papers."