Chapter 5

⚠️Trigger Warning⚠️
Abusive Backstory

***

I had been taken in by the Hamada family. They wouldn't let me go as they dragged me back into the bakery. Kicking and screaming or not, the woman and Tadashi pulled me down the sidewalk and into the bakery.

"Since you have absolutely no legal guardian to take care of you, I shall be bestowed upon that role and be your guardian! Plus I've always wanted a girl in the house so I'm killing two birds one stone!"

Coming over to me, she hands me some freshly cooked bread. My cheeks flush a little as I take the bread and bite down onto it. "Thank you..." I mutter. It comes out more as a whisper than anything.

She just smiles warmly before replying back with a small, "No problem!" We talk a little more when the subject I never wanted to get into came up.

"So what happened to your family?" I flinch at the word 'family' as she and Tadashi notices it's a touchy topic for me. My face darkens considerably. Sighing I think to myself, 'This was going to come up sooner or later...'

I take a deep breath as I stare at my hands and fiddle with them nervously. "My mom and my two brothers were caught in a shooting just a few days ago. My mom was a...excuse my language...an alcoholic and a..whore...every night there were new men in the house that me and my brothers never knew. She'd seduce them off the street and then..do it...me and brothers always had to do everything around the house. Especially after our mothers, 'Playtime.' me and my two brothers have different fathers. We all don't know of our real fathers and never cared for it. I had always cooked in my house. Along with the fact that I'd always study college-level subjects, I was supposed to graduate high school today...but...I-I don't want to go back....not there....anywhere but..there..."

Along with my last line, I had started to clutch my sweatshirt. My gaze narrowed as I look down at the table. The women turned towards me and smiled kindly.

Turning to me she says softly, "Well now you have us. The Hamada family to care for you. The family you never had."