Chapter Seventeen

As I stepped foot back into my house I found Lucas on the couch sleeping. I was happy he was asleep so I didn't have to deal with him. I just wanted a shower and clean clothes. I got on my tippy toes to try and sneak up the stairs but his mother came down the stairs blocking me. "Home so soon?"

I sighed. "Get out of my way."

"I didn't think you be back so soon."

"Just because Lucas stands up for you doesn't mean you are protected from me." I stepped closer to her letting her know how serious I was. She watched me a little longer then stepped aside. Once I finally got to my room I begin to undress trying to strip every inch of my clothing away.

"Where have you been all night," a voice said from behind me. Of course he would wake up. I chose not to say anything to him because I didn't know how to respond. "I asked you a question. I was worried about you." I laughed and turned around to him.

"Now you care about me?"

"I have always cared about you Samaria." I was about to get into the whole conversation again but I didn't want to. Not right now. I felt like all I did was talk about this shit.

"I don't want to talk about this right now. I just want to shower and get ready for this dinner my parents are having to meet your mom." When I told my mom about Lucas' mother coming to stay with us she insisted we all have a dinner to get to know each other. She wouldn't take no for an answer. Even once I found out the true colors of his mother, she wouldn't let me cancel. She said she wanted to meet this woman for herself. I also knew that my mom wanted to know what woman had the nerve to talk down to me the way she did. My mom planned on making it clear where she stood in all of this.

"We're still going to that after everything that has happened?"

"Yes, we are going to put on our happy faces and pretend everything is okay and when we get back you either decide that she goes or I do."

"What?"

"I will no longer stay in this house if she is here, so either you find another place to put your mother or I am gone end of discussion." I wasn't about to keep going through this anymore. If he wanted his mother than he could have her. He either wanted me or his mother. I was done trying to make him stand up for me. I was also done trying to do it myself. I had too much going on to be trying to fight this battle alone. I needed my husband or at least someone to fight with me until I was strong enough to put things back to normal. I was still battling the pain of my miscarriage and somehow that had been pushed to the background. Somehow his bitch of a mother had come in and made everything about her. She needed to be dealt with.

I stared at my parents' home not knowing how this night would go. I wanted for this to be over with but I knew that would never happen. We got out and went inside. I left them in the living room with my dad and went to kitchen where I found my mom setting the table. "Hey mom."

She looked up smiling. She was wearing her favorite purple dress that fitted throughout the top half then went wide at the waist. She always said that dress was the only reason her father took a second look at her. I didn't understand why she kept that old dress but if it meant that much to her then she should be happy.

"Where's your mother-in-law?" a pang of anger passed me before I controlled myself.

"In the living room unfortunately."

"I take it you and her don't get along?"

"That's a major understatement."

She laughed. "Samaria not everyone is meant to get along with their in laws."