Chapter Twenty-Six

Everything in this moment felt like it had frozen in time. I couldn't believe that Jordan had woken up and was looking right at me. I didn't know if I should scream or cry. My brother was wake. "You spoke," I said finally finding some words to say to him. I had never not had anything to say to him but this was different. He smiled at me as if he wasn't even in the hospital. It was like we were kids again when things were so simple.

He begin to laugh, which filled the room, but then that turned into violent coughing. It tried to play it off but it wouldn't stop. He held his chest and throat like he was choking. Before I could do anything his eyes rolled back and he started seizing. His body begin to shake and the machines rang out with loud beeping.

Soon the nurses came rushing in pushing me out of the way as they yelled to one another. Somehow in the mist of everything I got pushed out of the room. Everything was a blur. The only thing I could focus on was Jordan's smile. I kept walking back until I felt the hard surface of a wall and slid down to the floor. The cold surface hit my butt sending chills up my spine, and only adding more pain for my body to handle.

Somehow I reached for my phone and texted Lucas what was happening. He responded he would tell the others and after that my mind refocused on Jordan's room. I was hoping he would be okay. That they would come out and say false alarm.

After ten minutes the door swung open and out they came wheeling Jordan out. They were still yelling that they were running out of time. Jordan was no longer smiling. He was back being an invisible vegetable.

I don't know how long I sat there but it must've been forever. I couldn't move. I had tucked my legs up to my chest to try provide some comfort to myself. I had zoned out everything as I tried to convince myself that everything was okay.

"Samaria are you okay?" I felt someone say while nudging me. I looked up and found Lucas. He was squatting in front on me with worry all over his face. "What?"

"Are you okay?"

"Yea, I'm fine. I think."

"What happened? Where's Jordan," Raquel asked.

"They wheeled him into surgery I think."

"You think? Why would he need surgery?" I looked down to my hands trying to catch my breath. He was just here. Now he was gone. My hands were shaking. I was shaking. Lucas grabbed my hands making me look at him. He kissed them nodding at me.

"I don't know what happened. I was in there talking to him when he just woke up. He was smiling at me and talking to me, but then he started coughing and seizing up." I could feel my breathing getting rapid all over again. Lucas reached up wiping away my tears and then pulled me into him wrapping his arms around me.

Two long hours went by until finally woman wearing scrubs came up to us. We all jumped up bombarding her with questions. "What's going on with Jordan," I asked frantically.

"Well, even though, Jordan woke up, he still had internal bleeding unknown to us from one of the gunshot wounds which caused blood to fill up in his lungs making it difficult for him to breathe."

"Is he okay now," Raquel asked.

"We got the bleeding under control and stopped so there won't be any future problems."

"So is he going to ever wake up again?"

"He should when the meds wear off, but he has a long road ahead of him. When he does wake up he will have to take it easy until his wounds have completely healed."

Since there could only be three in the room with Jordan at a time, we decided to let Raquel and my parents go in first. I was still in shock from the first time so I didn't want what happened last time to repeat itself. To take my mind off of things Lucas took me to the cafeteria to get some coffee.