Chapter Thirty-One

Today was Jordan's birthday and I was charged with handling and making the cake. I wanted to make him a cake that he would like and might lighten up his spirits. Lately he has had a tough time recovering so I wanted to try and make him smile. Now that day had come Lucas and I were at my shop to pick up the cake since I knew it wouldn't be safe at my house. People came and went so much the cake would probably disappear and I wouldn't know who took it.

"What kind of cake did you make," Lucas asked leaning up against the steel table in the back where the cake was.

"I made his favorite. A triple chocolate cake with a dark chocolate icing which is all in the shape of him while saluting."

"You did all of that?"

"Well, he's my brother and I will do whatever I can for him."

I got out the cake with the help of Lucas of course, and sat it on the counter to look at it. Everything looked like it was supposed to so I was happy. Now I had to go endure a party with my family. I was hoping they didn't invite Brianna or that she just didn't show up because I couldn't deal with her today or any other day.

"Hey can I run something by you," Lucas asked now rubbing his newly formed beard.

"What is it?"

"Well, in a week I'm going to go to New York to look for a potential location for the hotel and I want you to come with me. I know you have the shop but I just really want you to come with me."

I bit my lip thinking about what he said. "I'll come under one condition."

"And what is that?"

"We have to do more than just business. I want to experience New York not just sit in a hotel."

"Deal."

I smiled confidently. "Nice doing business with you."

After getting the cake we headed back home so that we could help with anything else that might need to be done. I knew my mom was already there putting things together not to mention she had been blowing up my phone since I left. Anytime it came to one of us doing something for our birthday, she goes nuts trying to make everything perfect and in the process she makes us want to drive off a cliff to get away from her. I just resigned to not do anything for my birthday so I wouldn't have to go through it anymore. Usually, if I involved her about my birthday, I would end the day more mad than happy.

Once we finally made home my mom came running towards me obviously mad. "It's about time you two got back. Jordan will be here soon."

"I don't know why we're throwing Jordan a surprise party when you and I both know he hates them."

"Jordan doesn't know what he likes."

"Jordan is a grown man, I think he knows what he does and doesn't like mother. And one of the things he doesn't like is a surprise party."

"Look here don't make me have to hurt you, now hush up and go get things ready in the kitchen."

I shook my head heading to kitchen behind Lucas who has learned to just do what he is told, especially when it comes to my mother. While Lucas helped my mother I set out the plates and got the candles together to put them on the cake. I was happy being in the kitchen far away from my mother so I wouldn't get yelled at about anything. The more I stayed in the kitchen the less irritated I got.

"Need any help sweetheart?" my dad asked coming into the kitchen.

"No, I got this side covered."