Chapter Twenty-One

I got off of work early which means I got home earlier and I couldn't be happier. I felt physically drained by everything and just wanted to sleep before Lucas came home. He said he had something planned so I wanted to have some energy to endure whatever it was.

I walked through the door throwing my purse down on the floor and was about to head upstairs until I came face to face with Clair. In my mind I wanted to scream at her but I just didn't have the strength. All of this was taking a toll on body and I needed it to stop.

"I've been waiting for you," she said looking at me. I couldn't say anything. All I could do was just stare at her. Why was she here? Why did she insist on tormenting me?

"I don't know why. We have nothing to else to talk about."

"I don't want any problems. I just want to talk and then I will get out of the way."

"If it's not an apology then I don't want to hear it." Her face goes blank then she sighs. I didn't know what to expect from her but I wasn't about to back down. I deserved an apology and I either got it or she had to go.

"I'm sorry for what I said about your baby. I had no right to go there; I was just so angry at the whole situation and took it out on you." I took in her apology and for some reason it just didn't make me feel better. For some reason it didn't have the satisfaction I was looking for. I thought when she did finally apologize I would feel a weight lifted off of me, but I didn't. I still felt nothing.

I was still angry at her. I still didn't like her. I still wanted her gone. "So that's your excuse for degrading me and my body? You have no idea what it is like to carry a baby and then suddenly lose it. You had no right to mention my child, especially after losing your son." She stepped back shocked at my last statement. Lucas didn't really talk about his brother but sometimes he did. His brother meant a lot to him so I knew it must've been the same for Clair.

"He told you about Deon?"

"Of course he did, we are married. Married people share their lives with each other." Her face was still shocked as her eyes stayed wide. Deon wasn't really mentioned with them because it was hard when they lost him. Apparently he was the glue that held them together and now he was gone.

"That may be true but I never thought he would talk about Deon to anyone."

"Sorry to disappoint. Is there anything else you needed because frankly I'm done." Her face snaps back to normal as if her task had been restored to her.

"I just have one request." I nodded for her to go on so she could whatever this was over with. "That you take care of my son the way I couldn't. He never got the love he deserved from me so I ask that you stand by him no matter how stupid he acts because he needs you that much I can see." I couldn't believe what she was saying to me. I had never really taken her as someone that would look out for Lucas like that. This whole time she didn't even try to spend time with Lucas but just came to ruin his life.

"I will," I eventually said not having anything else to say. She nodded and took that as her place to leave. When the door closed I let out a breath. I stretched out my fingers to get the blood to flow to them. I felt numb. I didn't know what to do at that point.

I was about to head upstairs finally but my phone buzzed making me look at it. It was from Raquel telling me to meet her at the hospital. I scrunched up my face and sighed once again. Why couldn't I get to my bed?

I got to the hospital still not knowing what to expect. I didn't know if she was hurt or what was going on. I saw Raquel tapping her leg up and down rapidly. I walked over to her, "Raquel what's going on? Why did you make me come here?"