CHAPTER 6.2

"He was the great keeper of stories

"He was the great keeper of stories."

"I had thought the tale had died through the centuries," Lukas said, ignoring Honey's response, a slight smirk upon his lips. "Where did you hear it?"

"Would you believe me if I told you it was an old friend?" he responded, a slight smirk appearing on his lips before he continued. "It was from my time serving Lord Convel, in Muurin," he said, his left ear giving a slight twitch, that didn't go unnoticed by Honey's keen eyes. She blinked in curiosity, trying to decide if it was just her mind playing tricks on her, or if she had really seen the ear of the Mutare twitch.

"Actually, I wanted to ask you about that," Lukas said, not looking back. "You're lying about being a Tenth Rank, aren't you? You speak too much, and your skill with a blade is equivalent to a soldier. You hold it like them. Like the soldiers. But, you're too young to have served in the army yourself, aren't you?" Lukas asked, shaking his head. "So was it your father who taught you to hold it like that?" he asked. 

Dai's fingers stopped weaving their way through his tail, and his hands clenched together as he turned to glare at Lukas. Honey could see that Dai was tense as if he was about to pounce but finally managed to calm his nerves as he let out a sigh. 

"My parents died many of years ago," he hissed, his small frame trembling. "And it was my brother who taught me how to wield both my magic and my blade," he snapped. "He loves to think that he can control me. Like I'm just another pawn," Dai snapped. "So, I'm going to keep saying I'm a Tenth Rank so long as he continues to think I'm his pet."

"That's really sad," Honey whispered, and Dai made the small tsking noise once more, turning away from Honey, keeping his eyes locked on the branches of the trees, instead. "Then again, what would I know about you Mutare?" she asked herself, shaking her head. "I'd do anything for my younger brother, even if it cost me my life."

"Why is that?" Dai hissed.

"Because I love him," she stated.

For the third time, Dai made the tsking sound but said nothing more.

"Have you been told before that you are very surprising, Honey?" 

It was Lukas who asked the question. 

"It is very rare for a god to be surprised, but you surprised me when you said you wanted to take your brother's place," he said. "I have been trying to decide if your love for him is foolish or not. What do you think, Dai?"

"Foolish," he answered, promptly.

"Love is not foolish," Honey snapped, shoot a dark glare at Dai. "Love is what makes us strong," she spat, anger lacing over her words. "Or what makes Lekki strong, that is," she murmured to herself.

"Such is the divide between the Lekki and the Mutare," Lukas said, shaking his head, but not at all surprised. "One who believes love is foolish and the other who believes that love is strong. To be a god is to be in the middle," he said with a sigh.