CHAPTER 17.1

I don't want to leave this place.

You must, child.

The stars have said it is so.

And what faith do we have in those

little shining things?

You must, child.

~Holy Texts of Amaryllis

_________________________________

"It was cold and dark."

Being alone in the Wild Woods after chasing your younger brother into its depths is one thing. Being alone in the Wild Woods after your friends vanish, is a completely different thing.

Honey had probably been standing in the same place for well over an hour. Her mind was still spinning, trying to wrap itself around everything that had just happened. Lukas and Dai were just... gone. Poof. Disappeared with the other goddess and her familiar and Honey... well she wasn't exactly sure what she was meant to do. But standing in one place wasn't exactly fixing much of anything either.

She knew she needed to find some place safe. She could try and backtrack to the vagabond's camp, but she didn't know if she'd make it back in time. Or even make it at all. The Wild Woods was a strange place. It wasn't exactly well known for easy navigation. That and the vagabonds most likely wouldn't be an easy group to find. They knew the Wild Woods like their own hearts. No... Honey didn't think backtracking was an option.

She needed... she needed to continue onward. But she didn't know where onward was, exactly. She did know that it was getting darker by the moment and her strength would soon wane. She needed to find some place to spend the night and then... then she could try and figure out what to do next.

Things always seemed clearer cloaked dawn's light.

Taking a deep breath, Honey marched forwards. She could find a tree. She didn't know how to climb trees - it wasn't like there was a surplus in her village - but she could try, right? Dai made it look relatively easy and it wasn't like Honey would regale his strength. If he could climb to the tallest peaks of the pines, surely there would be at least one low hanging branch that Honey could prop herself up on for the night.

Or so she thought. Until, of course, she heard the voices. They were hushed, but most certainly there. Honey tensed, trying to identify where they were coming from without letting whoever was whispering realize she'd heard them. She took a step forwards and the branches above her rustled. It was ever so slight, but compared to Dai, it might as well have been a drum. They were above her.

She clenched her fist. Mutare were known for being sneaky. They were known for their unconventional methods of attack as well. Honey wouldn't let them get the drop on her. She bent down and picked up the largest fallen branch she could find. Right. If she was going to die, she'd do it on her own terms, than you very much.