CHAPTER 16.1

We pray to the Balance Goddess

We pray to the mother of him

We pray that he saves us

We pray forevermore

~ Song of the Woods

_________________________________

"The training room was, as all of the heavens had been, massive

"The training room was, as all of the heavens had been, massive."

Dai could barely even glimpse the ceiling that had to have been several dozen feet high. It was built for gods to spar in. And, unlike in Lukas's room, scents lingered here. The Balance Goddess had left them alone, though Dai was beginning to wonder if he was ever going to get out of the heavens. He wondered how much time had passed since they left.

It had only felt like a couple of hours, but time flowed differently in the heavens. A couple of years could have passed without Dai. He didn't like that thought. He missed the cool shadows of the trees and the scent of pine. He missed the rare rays of sunlight and the feeling of ease that passed when he swung through the trees.

Victoria had some of her familiars present her and Lukas with swords. Her favorite, Harper, was the only one who lingered, though she was out of range. That seemed like a wise decision. He wanted to be as far away as possible from the deranged goddess.

"Alright, Lukas," Victoria said, holding the sword out. "Let's start with the basics. Order your familiar to walk three steps forward," she said.

Three steps forward was three steps closer to Victoria and therefore danger and Dai's entire body resented the idea. Lukas still sighed, shaking his head. "You heard her, Dai," he said.

"I'm not doing that," Dai said.

"Order him," Victoria said.

"Please, Dai," Lukas said. His eyes spoke for him. He thought that Dai was being prideful. He thought that Dai was being arrogant and refusing to do this out of spite. He couldn't sense the wickedness that oozed from this woman's flesh. Why didn't he realize? There was no way Dai was walking towards that woman.

But Victoria was not in the mood to play around either. "Like this," Victoria said. "Harper. Three steps forward." Her words were filled with power. The blue clouds on Harper's neck glowed as she immediately took three steps closer. She didn't even have the power to refuse. It was absolute control over mind and body.

And it terrified Dai.

"It's all in the voice," Victoria said. "Let your magic pool. Let it fill your body. Force him to move," she said, her eyes that of a snake's.

Lukas sighed again. He looked little more than annoyed. "Dai please just go forward," he said, his tone strained.

Something flickered around Dai's neck. He could feel its warmth as he took a half step forward and then two back, ultimately accomplishing nothing. Dai wasn't going to listen to these gods. He couldn't. He desperately wanted to slip into the shadows and disappear. But there were no shadows. There was only light and the scent of blood.