CHAPTER 17.3

"Honey's hands tightened around the blade

"Honey's hands tightened around the blade."

It was cold but not as cold as she imagined it would be. The ice wasn't the same breed as the ice that filled buckets turning the winter. It didn't have the same bite that normal ice had. Instead, it was cold and sharp but energizing. It was like Honey had been shot by a bolt of lightning and her mouth was filled with the taste of mint.

"My blades are pure magic," Dai said, summoning another one for himself to wield. He slashed the air between them as if testing it out. "Should you be injured, it will heal you."

"And this energy?" Honey asked, pushing herself from foot to foot.

Dai smirked. "You are the third person I've permitted to fight with one of my blades," he said. "The first was a prisoner. It was a form of torture. I'd beat him over and over but the magic would keep him on his feet. He went insane."

Honey's throat went dry. Oh. Magic was banned in Amaryllis for a reason. It was dangerous. It was a force only meant to be wielded by those with celestial blood in their veins. For a being such as Dai to wield it... well that inevitably lead to situations like the one he'd described prior. Then again, it didn't sound like something that would be completely out of the picture for a god as well.

Perhaps there was no thing in all of existence that deserved to wield magic but Honey understood why they did. The taste of mint overtook her tongue. It felt good.

"Who was the second?" Honey asked.

Dai lunged. It happened so quickly, Honey barely had time to block the attack, and then it was an awful block. Her sword snapped in half. Dai looked disappointed but with a simply flick of his wrist, the sword regrew. "Don't block like that," he said. "Swords are fragile things, you know. More so when woven with ice."

Honey nodded. "Can I attack you? So I can see?"

"Of course," Dai said.

Honey wasn't good at much at anything - but one skill she prided herself on was her ability to watch and replicate. She was a fast learner and she took a lot of things in at once. That wasn't to say her attack was a perfect replica of Dai's - but it was as good as a novice to the blade would manage.

Golden eyes widened but Dai still blocked the attack with ease - practically catching Honey's blade with the hilt of his sword and then parrying. His hand rested on her own when the movement was through. "That was good," he said. "But did you see how I blocked it?"

"Once more," Honey said.

Dai nodded and the pair went through the movement again. That time Honey got it. They went back to having Dai attack her - slashing downwards in a rather basic movement. Honey missed a couple more times, the movement was much harder than Dai made it look, and she broke the blade once more, but eventually she found her rhythm. Over and over again she and Dai replicated the move.