CHAPTER 18.2

"It was late when they stopped

"It was late when they stopped."

Honey knew this because... well because they'd finally left the Wild Woods, or at least reached its rim. No trees grew in this place - leaving a perfect view of a full moon. Lukas and Dai looked lost in a memory, staring at the open village before them. The air was dry and gray and whenever the wind picked up it carried the scent of ash but, cast in moonlight, the Ash Village seemed oddly beautiful.

"We're here," Lukas said with a groan, collapsing to the ground. All of them were worn to the bone. "After all this time I can't believe I'm back here."

"Back?" Honey asked, sitting on the ground. At first glance, she thought she might end up covered in soot, but the ash here had long since become a part of the environment. It was so deeply embedded into the ground that it had no need for her. Honey sighed in relief as she stretched out further. "You've been here before?"

"Why do you think it's called the Ash Village," Dai grumbled sitting down next to Honey, his legs crossed and most of his weight balanced on his cloak as if he didn't want to touch the ground. His golden eyes flashed in the moonlight.

"You know that story too?" Lukas asked with a hum. "How does it go? I feel qualified to correct you since one of us was there and the other wasn't."

"How do you know?" Dai asked, cocking a brow. "I could be a thousand years older than you and you wouldn't know."

Lukas scoffed.

Honey, on the other hand, looked between them. First at Lukas and then Dai and then back at Lukas. His face was completely neutral, giving nothing away beside the slightest curve of his lip. Honey turned to Dai. His expression was a little more open. Cold and hard and exactly what Honey deserved for spilling his secret.

"I am so, so sorry Dai but on the bright side, he didn't kill you for it," Honey said with a sheepish smile.

"It wasn't your secret to tell," Dai said with a flick of his tail.

"Don't be mad at her," Lukas said, resting a hand on Dai's shoulder. "I mean, I was the one who pressured her into it."

Dai clicked his tongue.

"I'm sorry," Honey whined, looking down. "I really am."

"I'm cautious for a reason, Honey. What would you have done if Lukas had tried to kill me?" Dai's tail was flicking now. "Secrets have worth. More worth than you could ever know. Don't throw them around like that."

"I am sorry," Honey said.

"Lay off her," Lukas said. "She didn't do anything wrong."

"But-"

"But I did," Honey said, earning looks from both Dai and Lukas. "What I did was wrong. I put Dai's life in danger. That's why I'm trying to work to become stronger." Her nails bit into the flesh of her palms. "I'm sorry Dai. It won't happen again. I'll make sure of it."