CHAPTER 8.3

"Winter's kiss returned them from the grave

"Winter's kiss returned them from the grave."

Frost coated the bloodied wound on the soldier's leg, as Dai placed his hand on it, his eyes closed as he focused his magic, forcing it to repair the leg of the Lekki man, who sat watching in a mixture of awe and horror. When the frost finally faded away from the man's leg, his expression finally settled on awe. 

He was certain that he was never going to be able to walk again, and the healers were going to have to remove the entire leg to remove the infection. Yet with the help of magic, this cloaked creature that soldiers had been whispering was a Mutare, the pain was all but gone.

"Can you stand?" Dai asked, and the soldier got to his feet, testing out putting weight on his freshly healed leg. Then slowly he began to walk around, and a proud smile crept upon Dai's lips. "Be careful," he warned. "Your leg isn't as strong as it used to be, but that will change if you keep using it," he said.

"Okay," the soldier said, a wide smile on his face. "I give my thanks to you," he said, bowing. It was a common enough action in Amaryllis, but it made Dai feel uneasy. Mutare only bowed to First and Second Ranks. "Now, I must ask, is it true that you are a Mutare?" he asked, curiosity burning in his gaze.

"These divides are what have caused the war in the first place," Dai muttered. "Mutare or Lekki, what does it matter? I have just doomed you to fight once more, and for that, I must apologize," he said, giving a slight dip of his head.

"Oh..." the Lekki soldier said, frown carved into his face. "Well I thank you once more," he said, before dashing off to rejoin his comrades. The soldier was a young Lekki boy, one who was still wet behind the ears and did not need to be out on the battlefield. He only looked to be about fifteen or sixteen years old, the same age that Dai, himself looked.

"Your magic is really useful," Honey stated, a slight smile on her lips. "You could probably pull someone back from the brink of death," she said. "Maybe you could even pull someone back into this world, and bring them back to life," she said, a glittering excitement in her chocolate eyes.

"That's just as impossible as it is forbidden," Dai stated. "Now who else do I need to heal?" he asked. Honey had been in charge of seeing who needed to be healed first and who could spare to wait just a bit longer.

"That's it," she stated. "There are others, but they refuse to be healed by you," she added, slowly. "Either because you're a Mutare or you're using magic," she said.

"If they wish to die, then that is not my fault," he stated. "Come, now," he said and led Honey to the other side of the clearing where Lukas had ordered any soldiers still left on their feet to drag any injured Mutare. There were only seven of them, which was far less than the Lekki soldiers, as Lekki soldiers tended to finish their opponents off far more quickly than the Mutare did. 

Dai approached the first Mutare in the line of injured creatures, and she was a woman, somewhere in her late twenties, with wings. One wing that had been shredded, while the other had been completely chopped off.