CHAPTER 12.1

He was our savior
He was our protector
But he cannot protect us
They are not the Lady of Light
They do not wield magic
Instead blades forged in the light
Save us from them
Save us from their greed
Save us from her

~Song of the Woods
_________________________________

~Song of the Woods_________________________________

"It was pain that brought her back to life."

Or at least it was pain that Honey awoke to when she opened her eyes from what felt like an eternal sleep. Her head burned and her body was stiff, but that was the extent of her pain. Honey sat up slowly, her body warmed by the fire she had been sleeping next to. 

Dai was sitting next to her feet, his body frozen and eyes locked on the fire for such a long time Honey thought he might have dozed off. As Honey glanced around she saw a few other sleeping forms, the half-dozen Mutare soldiers who had not been killed by Lukas's wrath. A small part of Honey warmed, knowing she had saved their lives.

Honey knew she would never be the hero her father was, the hero she dreamed of being. In the end, it was Dai who had risked life and limb in order to save the soldiers. Yet, even though Honey's role was minor, she still was able to help. 

Perhaps, if she was lucky, she could convince either Lukas or Dai to teach her how to wield a blade as well as any Lekki, or even a Mutare, soldier so she could save lives too.  Gently, Honey tapped Dai with her foot with the full intent of asking him, yet as the Mutare snapped his gaze to her she thought better of it. He seemed... angry.

However his anger quickly melted away as he saw Honey was awake, and a rare smile spread across his lips. For just a moment, relief flooded his features, making them seem gentle and kind. However as that moment passed, Dai's face returned to its neutral position making him seem more annoyed than Honey knew he actually was. 

"You're awake," Dai said, stating the obvious. "I apologize for hurting you, earlier," he mumbled, "it was not my intention." Dai looked away, trying to hide the unmistakable guilt burning in his eyes. "Are you in any pain, now?" Dai asked, still not meeting her gaze.

"No, I feel fine," Honey said, rubbing her head as she sat up to face Dai. "Just what...what happened?" she asked. All Honey could remember was a bright light then a burning pain had spread across her body. There was nothing after that. Just suffocating darkness that had kept her trapped for what felt like an eternity.

"Have you ever heard of the Twin Blades?" Dai asked, cautiously.

"Lukas's sword," Honey mumbled, scrunching her eyebrows together as a memory resurfaced in her mind. "The Twin Blade of Light is what you called it." Honey's voice was unsure, almost as if asking a question. "I think there might be a few stories about it as well. How it was the blade that killed the Dark Master," she mumbled.