Episode 31: Final Goodbyes (Part 1)

Sophia's POV.

"Who's calling you now?" I ask.

Mark's been getting calls all morning. Kind of ruined sitting at the river earlier. His freaking phone kept going off with texts and calls. He kept apologizing, saying he knew how much I hated his phone ringing every five seconds. He said he hated it just as much. Mark couldn't exactly shut his phone off, because we were waiting for Wesley to text him. While waiting for that, we managed to get back from the river and pack the few remaining things we had into our bags. Mark looked over to me as we sat in the living room, phone playing the all too familiar ringtone meaning someone was calling him.

"I'm sorry. I've gotta take this," Mark said as he answered the phone. I nodded. "Hello?" he spoke into the phone.

"Who is it?"

"Toby," he answered me. "Hey Tobes, what's up?"
...
"Really? Already?"
...
"No, I thought it wouldn't get there until later."
...
"Are you there?"
...
"Great."
...
"Yeah, my apartment. Where else would it go?"
...
"Did you pick it up yet?"
...
"Haha, what was the outcome? Fans all over the place?"
...
"I thought so. You alright though? I know it's early."
...
"Alright. Thanks Toby, I appreciate it."
...
"Yeah, I'll talk to you later. Keep it in your sights."
...
"Jeezus! Fine, I'll pick it up from your place if that's the only way."
...
"Okay, I'll talk to you later. See ya."
...
"Yeah, Ken too."

Mark hung up the phone and smiled proudly, looking over to me. He stood up and walked to his room. Curious, I followed.

"Why were you talking to Toby and Ken?" I asked.

"It's a touchy subject. You'll find out later. I promise."

"Does it have something to do with that dumb surprise you have planned for me in LA?" Mark nodded as he picked up his red suitcase and walked past me into the living room.

"When we get there, I have to go meet up with Ken and Toby at Toby's place to get your surprise. You'll be at my apartment waiting."

"Why do I have to wait!?"

"Because it won't work otherwise!" There's the all too familiar text ringtone. "Sorry."

"Toby?"

"No, Ken. Nevermind, surprise is at my place." He stayed quiet for a second as he got another text. "And that's Wesley. Back to the shop!"

Mark took my hand, grabbed his keys and we ran out of the apartment and downstairs to go to the car. We climbed in and started driving down the street. It was only eight in the morning, but it was nice outside. The sun was out but it was still cold enough to see your breath. My favorite weather. People were walking around and some were jogging or riding their bikes and cars drove down the roads. Eventually we parked in the same place as we did earlier this morning and walked towards the strip where Wesley's shop was. Mark opened the door and we walked in and he stopped dead in his tracks when everyone cheered when he saw all the people there. Mark let out a golden laugh, showing a bright white smile and his face turned a little red with embarrassment. Everyone we knew in Cincinnati was there. Molly and Wade, Tom and Mark's mother, Anna Mae and Wesley. Some people I knew were there too. Trey and Mason, two of my friends/coworkers Bethany and Janelle. Mark was greeted by Wesley at the door.

Mark's POV.

"Wesley, you're crazy. You did this for us?" I asked surprised.

"Of course! You should go and talk to everyone!" he cheered happily as Sophia nudged my shoulder while Wesley went to go talk to some other people. I asked her what was wrong.