Chapter Two *Edited*

"Anna, wake up.  Anna, come on, you're going to miss the sunrise," my dad whispered as he shook the large lump of covers I had curled around and into.

                "Lemme alone," was all I could get out.  My dad finally understood that I wasn't going to get up and left my room, muttering over his shoulder something about not appreciating life's beauty and staying up too late.  He was one to talk, considering what time he and mom actually got home last night.

                I knew I could get about another hour's worth of sleep if I closed my eyes and didn't move.  My dad would come into my room at six thirty and demand I get up, complaining about wasting the day.  So, I did exactly that and fell asleep until my stinking alarm went off, since I had forgotten to turn it off after the adventure I had last night.  So I dragged myself out of bed and made myself go make breakfast.  It was my job to make pancakes, toast, bacon, and muffins every Saturday morning, and today was no different.  Mom usually stayed in bed until Alec and I left for the day.  

                I got out the ingredients and started mixing and stirring and pouring and cooking and everything else that went along with making breakfast for three.  I then quickly added all the ingredients for Alec's special morning juice and found the bottle of aspirin and set out three, his basic dosage for a night of heavy drinking.

                After setting all the food out, I went back upstairs and into Alec's room.  Dad had stopped trying to get him to participate in morning activities with him years ago.  The lucky thing.  But as I pulled back the shades and Alec groaned into his pillow, I knew I was the lucky one this morning. 

                "Close it," his groggy voice ordered.  I snorted.

                "Yeah right.  Breakfast is on the table, along with your juice and medicine.  Come on, you big lummox, get out of bed," I said with a grin as I pulled one of his legs out of bed.  The rest of him fell with it, and he sat up straight immediately and glared at me.

                "You're such a brat sometimes," he growled at me as I helped him up.  He gave another squinting glance at the window and grabbed his head between his hands.  I didn't pity him in the slightest.  

                "I know," I grinned.  "You said so yourself last night."  He sighed and leaned on me as we walked downstairs.  The aroma of fresh, hot bacon wafted up to us and seemed to fully wake him up.

                "You made bacon?" he asked, delighted.  I sighed and nodded.  He grinned widely at me.  "I love you, Anna Lea."  I smirked at his use of my full name.  He sat down and immediately took the pills and drank half the glass of juice, holding his nose.  "Dear God, I hate the taste of this," he shuddered.

                "Maybe next time you will stop at one bottle instead of four," I shot back and he slouched over in his chair.  I just crossed my arms as I leaned back against the counter.  He sheepishly looked up at me as he slowly sipped his drink.  

                "I know I should.  I know you care, Anna, and you have no idea how much I owe you for putting up with me, but it's so hard to stop.  Once I start, the numbers mean nothing, only the feeling does.  It's terrible though, and I want you to promise me you will never do it.  Not even once."  I nodded and he stood up, putting his arms around me.  I loved my big brother to death.  He was my protector, my best friend, and so much more.  But, he was also a dumbass and an alcoholic teenager.  

                "Are you going to a party tonight?" I asked wearily.  He shook his head.

                "Nah.  Last night was enough for the weekend.   Besides," he loudly whispered as if he didn't want anyone to hear.  "I like waking up to a good breakfast.  Dad always manages to burn the bacon."