Chapter Twenty-One

Six Weeks Later

“Mitch, just tell me where we’re going,” I pouted from the passenger seat of his truck.

“Now that would take all the fun out of it, wouldn’t it?”

“No!  Please?”

“Nope.”

“Pretty please?”

“It’s still a no.”

“What’s your price?”

“I don’t have one.”

“Everything has a price, Mitch.  Everything.”

“Hmm….how about a kiss?”

“For telling me where we’re going?  A kiss?  That’s it?”

“No, but I’d like a kiss anyways,” he grinned.  I nodded and smiled and leaned in, and when there was just a few millimeters separating us I stopped and whispered in his ear, my lips lightly touching his skin whenever I moved.

“Too bad, so sad, handsome.  You have to tell me where we’re going.”  I leaned back and saw that the hand clutching the steering wheel had tightened.  I laughed.

“You’re such a tease,” he muttered and frowned under his breath.  I smiled and grabbed the hand that was on the center console.  Intertwining our fingers, he pulled our joined hands up to his mouth and kissed mine.  I smiled and relaxed a bit.  The silence after that wasn’t awkward, it was just silent.  I watched as nothing but darkness went by.  Night time sucked for trying to figure out where you were. 

“Will you tell me now?” I said after a few minutes.  The suspense was killing me. 

“Nope.”

“Fine.”  It was silent for another minute. 

“What about now?” 

“Anna!  Stop it, we’re almost there anyways.”  I sighed and Mitch laughed.  “Okay, do you trust me?”

“That’s a really dumb question considering I’ve been living with you and your mom for the past six weeks.”

“Anna…”

“Yes, Mitch, I trust you.”

“Okay, close your eyes.”

“Fine, but I hate surprises.  You know that.”

“Yeah, whatever just close them.”  I did and waited for him.  I felt the truck stop and kept my eyes closed shut as Mitch got out of the truck.  I really was hoping he wouldn’t ditch me in there…