Chapter Eight *Edited*

The rest of the week passed in a blur, my parents told us they were going to be gone the entire summer vacationing in Europe.  They would be leaving the day after school got out.  At least they waited until then.  But, soon enough, it was Saturday night, and I couldn't wait for my date with Mitch.  I nervously shifted my weight from foot to foot as I stood on the front porch of my house.  It was getting closer to the time Mitch and I had set up, and I was hot; even with the sun down, it was eighty degrees outside.  Just as I was about to walk back in, Mitch pulled down the driveway.  I popped my head back in to shout up to Alec, "See you later," and ran outside and into Mitch's truck. 

                "Hey!"  Mitch greeted as I hopped up and put on my seatbelt.  I leaned over to give him a peck on the cheek and watched as an adorable flush rose on his cheeks.  

                "Hey yourself!  Come on, let's go, before Alec figures out I'm with you."  As if on cue, Alec walked out onto the porch, a scowl on his face.  "Go, Mitch!" I urged as Alec started off the porch.  Without needing further encouragement, Mitch put the vehicle in reverse and floored the gas.  We were on the main road in seconds, a cloud of dust behind us.  I started cracking up.  I didn't know why, but I found our near-death experience with Alec hilarious.  Mitch glanced at me quizzically, but then started joining in.

                "All right, come on.  We've got to get in the zone for laser tag," Mitch teased, his tone mockingly serious.  I laughed at him and did a mock salute.

                "Sir yes sir," I said and smiled.  He rolled his eyes.  I couldn't help it, my mind wandered back to the scene that was playing out in my mind that would most likely occur when I got home.  "Man, am I in so much trouble," I grinned.  Alec was going to be so upset, I knew that I wasn't going to hear the end of it.  But, also, I felt like this was something Olivia would have wanted me to do; she would have wanted me to be happy with someone I truly believed was a good person- not to mention good looking.  

                "Hey, get off of that.  Tonight is strictly about laser tag."  Now it was my turn to roll my eyes.  Mitch's hand sneakily moved over to grab mine and hold it over the center console.  It was sweet, especially as his thumb stroked my skin ever so lightly.  

                "All right, whatever you say."  I leaned back in my seat, my heart racing.  I hadn't been out on a proper date since Jordan, and I was thrilled that someone like Mitch was so willing to take me out and seemed to be genuinely interested in me.  He was sweet and seemed to care about me, and dealt with all the problems I had that I had shown him thus far.  

               We soon arrived at the laser tag arena, and I grinned as soon as I saw how many different cars from school were here.  This was sure to be a good time with a lot of good people.  Mitch came around the side of the truck and opened my door for me.  I took his hand with a smile and hopped out of the vehicle.  He tucked me under his arm as we walked towards the door, bright flashing lights leading the way.  I looked up at him, meeting his eyes as he smiled and leaned to kiss my forehead, a gesture that was incredibly intimate.  

                After going inside, I saw that the arcade was dominated by Mitch's friends.  I smiled at a few I recognized from school and met the curious gazes of those who I didn't.  Mitch leaned down and whispered that I might want to close my ears, and curiously I did so but realized why after he put his hand in his mouth and let out a piercing whistle.  Instantly all the guys and their dates walked over, chatting happily. 

                "Well, Anna, this is Blake, his girlfriend Kayla, Luke, his girlfriend Tanya, Lindsey and Kris, and then there's the single guys; Adam, Will, Peter, and Justin.  Everybody, this is Anna."  The responding mutters and stares had me blushing, but it was Adam that had my cheeks on fire as he asked a question.