Chapter Twenty Eight

A/N: Alright, so this is the next to last chapter in the story.  I'm sorry it took so long, but I was having major difficulty writing this one.  It's a pretty transitional chapter, except for the last part.

“Well, I guess I could say ‘happy birthday,’ but it wouldn’t apply, would it?”  I laughed at Mitch’s attempt to destroy the lingering silence. 

“It’s a happy birthday now that I’m with you.  And truthfully, it was going fine until they started arguing.”

“That’s good.  So, happy birthday.”  He leaned over and kissed me briefly before turning his attention back to the road.  I smiled and he entwined our hands. 

“Thanks.  It just got a whole lot better.”

“Alright, so I’m going to warn you now.  Mom went all out tonight.  Like, she was cooking all day after you called me back.”  I giggled.

“So what you’re saying is that I had better like the food and to be nice and not overwhelmed by it?”  He nodded.

“That’s exactly what I’m saying.”  I smiled.

“I swear I will love the food and won’t be overwhelmed.”

“Pinkie swear?” Mitch asked, pulling out hands apart to hold out his little finger.

“Pinkie swear,” I said, rolling my eyes. 

“Alright.  And here we are,” he said as we pulled into the drive.  He hopped out and came around to my side before I could object.

“Thank you, handsome,” I said as he grabbed my waist and got me out of the cab.

“You are welcome,” he said huskily as he nuzzled my neck.  I sighed and he placed a kiss on my lips.  It was long, but not heavy or light.  It was perfect.  When he pulled away he tucked me into his side and we walked into his house. 

As soon as we entered the threshold, the smells assaulted my nose and I smiled up at him.  He sighed and shook his head. 

“I told her not to do this,” he muttered as we walked into the kitchen.  Brenda’s back was turned to us and she was setting the dining room table on the other side.  “Hi, Mom,” Mitch said.  Brenda froze and turned around. 

“Anna!  Sweetheart, come here and give me a hug!”  Without a second glance at her son, Brenda pushed past and enveloped me in a bone-crushing hug.  I laughed and hugged her back. 

“Hi, Mom,” I said teasingly.  It was a joke we had created while I stayed there, but in a way it was true, she was more of a mother to me than mine was and had ever been.

“Oh, honey, just look at you!  Another year older!”  She giggled.  “Listen to me, carrying on.  Come on, let’s sit down.  Everything’s ready!”