Chapter Twelve

I woke up the next morning cradled in Mitch’s arms.  The blanket that had been spread under us was now curled up around us, mainly me.  It was a nice, cool morning, and I closed my eyes again.  I snuggled closed into Mitch’s side and felt him pull me closer.

“You up?” I whispered.  I could feel his nod and I moved my head so that I could see his face.  His eyes were watching me closely. 

“Morning,” he said and I smiled.  The sun was low in the sky, and I figured it was around seven. 

“I hope you weren’t planning on going to school today,” I said.  He gave a crooked grin. 

“Not really.  When’s Alec planning on coming home?”  I shrugged.

“No clue.  He went over to Emma’s last night.”  I made a face and Mitch laughed.

“Lovely.  Thank you for sharing.  Well, if I ever knew Alec, he won’t be home until noon-ish.  We’ve got time to kill.”  He curled me closer to him.

“Let’s play twenty questions, the get-to-know-you version.  I’ll go first,” I say.  “What’s your favorite cereal?” 

“Lucky charms.  Now it’s my turn.  Favorite food?”

“Hmmm…..anything Italian or Greek.  I can’t narrow it down any more than that.  Wait, I really like Indian food.  And Japanese sushi.  I love Chinese, too, though.  Darn it, I love food.”  Mitch laughed and I pouted.  “Leave me alone.  And now it’s my turn.  What’s your ideal vacation?”

“Anywhere in Greece.  I love the colors, the sea, everything about it.”

“Me too!  That’s my dream get-away.  Oh, sorry, it’s your turn.”

“I know it is.  What’s your ideal date?”  I paused to think about this one. 

“It’s at a park at night…on the swings, just squishing my toes in the sand.  I know, it’s boring and sounds mushy, but seriously, I think that’s perfect.”  I blush and look down; glad Mitch can’t see my face.  I notice the silence and continue to ask him the next question.

“What’s your biggest fear?”  Silence meets my question and I don’t know if he’s going to answer.

“I’m most frightened of losing everything.  Of having everything gone in an instant.  I am so scared of losing everything, everyone I love.  That’s my biggest fear in life.”  I nodded and moved so that I was on his chest.  His eyes landed on a piece of hair that was falling in my face.  He moved it ever so gently with his hand, his palm caressing my cheek.  I leaned into his hand and watched as his eyes came back to mine.  “That’s why you can’t leave me,” he said.  I smiled.

“I won’t,” I whispered.  I leaned forward until our foreheads were touching.  “I won’t.”  I closed my eyes as he moved forward and gently pressed his lips to mine.  It was over as soon as it started; too soon.  “Your turn,” I said.