Chapter Thirteen

Images of Anna's dress, mask, hairstyle, shoes, as well as the ballroom over there >>>  :)

“Anna, sit up straight!  I can’t get these curls in properly if you don’t sit up!”  Emma kept nagging me about my posture.  I couldn’t help that I didn’t like sitting in a chair for five hours getting my hair done. 

“Emma, please tell me you’re almost done.”

“Only about twenty minutes left.”  I groaned and pulled out my phone so I could start texting Mitch.

I hate having my hair done.  I don’t know why I let you talk me into this.  I hit send and waited for his reply. 

It’s because you love me so much.  I smirked.

Yeah, alright, you go with that.  What are you wearing tonight?  I fought the urge to yawn.

A suit with a simple red and silver mask.  Oh, and a red tie, too.  I grinned. 

Great minds think alike.  I’m going to be completely in white and red.  And silver, of course.  I was smiling so much my cheeks hurt.

Of course.  I can’t wait to see you.  I bet you’ll be the most beautiful one there.  I blushed, even though he couldn’t see me.

I doubt it, but thank you.  I hit send just as Emma finished up.

“Alright, now, for a touch of make-up.  You don’t need a lot, just some mascara, a little bit of eye shadow, some liner, and then lipstick.  I should be done here in about thirty minutes.”  I groaned again.

“Okay, fine.  But hurry up; I need to be in the car, dressed, in approximately half an hour.  Oh, don’t forget the earrings,” I said absently.  She had done my fingernails earlier, giving my long nails a proper manicure.  They were now painted white at the tips, “French tipped,” I think she called it.  I just usually painted them a bright, colorful color.

For the next thirty minutes I was plucked, prodded, poked, brushed, and just about everything else you could think of.  When she was done, Emma took a step back and admired her work, then kissed her fingertips.

“Se magnifique!”  I giggled and waited for her to turn me around so I could see the end result.  She hadn’t let me look in the mirror during this entire transformation process.  As she pushed the chair around, I gasped.  That couldn’t be me.  That girl was too pretty, too perfect to be me.  Her blue eyes popped with eyeliner and mascara, and her lips were full with bright red lipstick, the same shade red of the dress.

“That can’t be me,” I whispered. 

“Of course it is.  Don’t be silly, you were always that pretty.  I’m just making it more widely known.”

“It’s perfect, Emma, thank you so much.”  I got up to hug her gently; careful not to do anything lest I put one hair out of place and we had to start all over. 

“Alright, now we have to get you into the dress.  Come on, let’s go.”  She dragged me into my room and got out the dress.  We got it on quickly and efficiently.

“Earrings,” I reminded her.  She ran and got them from a bag, along with the shoes.  She slipped and strapped me in to the shoes, making me three inches taller instantly.  I put on the earrings and then turned around to look in the mirror.  I still couldn’t believe this was me. 

“Anna,” Emma whispered in awe beside me.  I was several inches taller than her now.  “You look…amazing.  Stunning.  Beautiful.  There isn’t one word to describe it.”  I smiled gently and grabbed her hand.