Chapter Seventeen

Jordan killed the motor in front of my house.  I got up and walked up to the front door.  I knew Alec was home, so I didn’t bother to take my key out.  I walked in and looked around.  I couldn’t find Alec. 

“Alec?  I’m home!” 

“Were you out with him?” I heard him yell back at me from his room.

“What are you talking about?” I shifted nervously.  Jordan was standing just inside the door, not that I gave him permission to.

“Were you out with-” he popped his head out of his room and looked down to see me and Jordan.  He had a deer-in-the-headlights expression.  “Jordan!  Hey man!”  He bound down the stairs, pushing me out of the way. 

“Hey bro!  I haven’t seen you in forever!”

“Yeah!  Let me think, the last time was…” he trailed off and looked at me.  I didn’t flinch.

“Say it.  The last time you say him was at the funeral.”  I wheeled around and walked upstairs, going to change.  Over I my shoulder I heard Alec ask Jordan, “What’s wrong with her?”

“We just came from the cemetery,” Jordan explained in a low voice.

“Crap.  I need to apologize.  Hey, wanna stay for dinner?  We could catch up and…”  His voice trailed off.  I went and changed into a pair of denim shorts and a flowing tank top.  It dipped low to show off a rather large amount of cleavage.  I pulled out my phone to text Mitch that I got home safely, and then tucked it into my pocket.  Walking downstairs, I saw that Alec was chatting with Jordan in the kitchen.  I went out onto the porch to sit on the swing.  The rain was pleasant, at least when I wasn’t in it, and the thunder and lightning had slowed.  I pushed my feet against the wood and felt the rhythmical rocking of the swing.

“Anna?”  Alec poked his head out.  I smiled at him.

“Alec?” I teased.  He looked uncomfortable.

“Listen, I’m sorry about me bringing that up.  I didn’t know.  I would have gone with you,” he offered.  I shook my head.

“It’s fine.  Don’t worry about it.  I was just overdue for a visit.  So I went today.”

“That’s cool.  Just have Jordan warn me or something next time,” he chuckled, awkwardly shifting from foot to foot. 

“I told you, it is fine.  Go make dinner.”  I watched him chuckle and go back inside, leaving the screen door open.  I felt my phone vibrate but hit reject.  I didn’t want to talk to Mitch right now, especially since he stranded me at Starbucks.  If he didn’t know I was ticked now, he would soon enough.  Watching the rain, I had the sudden urge to go out and run around in it.  I started tapping a toe, my foot, my leg, my other leg, and soon the urge was over powering.  I got up and ran out, letting my feet squish in between the mud.  I threw my arms out and was spinning in circles when Jordan came outside.  I was absolutely soaked, and I watched Jordan stand there.  I raised an eyebrow, and then he copied my movement.