Chapter Twenty

• Dedicated to My awesome, amazing fans!!!

The first thing I noticed when I woke up was that I wasn’t alone.  Somebody was lying behind me.  I squirmed slightly and felt an arm that was across my hips tighten slightly and then Mitch whispered in my ear.

“Anna, it’s alright.  It’s just me.”  I instantly relaxed and snuggled back further into his chest.  He chuckled and started stroking my hair.  I smiled and sighed silently.  This was how I wanted to wake up for the rest of my life.  “Go back to sleep, love.”  I nodded and dozed back in and out of consciousness.  I always noticed talking, no matter what state I was in.

“Mom, I have no clue.  And even if I did, it wouldn’t be for me to say.  I don’t want to bombard her with questions when she gets up.”

“I know, Mitch.  But I just want to be aware.”

“Okay, but promise me you aren’t going to bother her with this.”

“Fine.  Let’s forget I brought it up.”  They were silent for a while and Mitch moved his hand so that it was cupped in his face and his thumb was stroking my cheek.  I didn’t even realized I had moved further into his hand. 

“You know she loves you, Mitch?”

“I do, Mom.  And I love her too.  She’s the only one who has ever been able to have this much of me.  I want her to be the only one to have this much of me.  I can’t help but smile around her.  When she frowns it just about breaks my heart.  She’s so beautiful…I just can’t believe she’s mine.”

“You’re positively smitten, aren’t you?” 

“I am, Mom.  I truly am.” 

“Good.  That poor child doesn’t even know she’s pretty.  She said you had to be pretty on the inside to be beautiful, but that she had too many scars on the inside.  Don’t you dare break her heart.”

“I don’t plan to, Mom.  I’m just worried she’s going to break mine; I’m scared she’s going to find someone better and run off with him.”

“Nonsense, Mitch, you are the greatest boy I know.”

“Mom, you’re entitled to say that.”

“No, actually, I’m not.  But I know you’ve had a few problems and issues, but you’ve always gotten it sorted out.  You aren’t perfect, Mitch, and that’s what makes you perfect.”

“Thanks, Mom.  I get so worried sometimes.”

“I know you do, sweetheart, which is exactly why I’m letting you know.”

“Thank you.”

“You’re welcome.  Now, it’s almost eight in the morning, I need to go to work.  Can you take care of her or do you want me to take off from work?  I’ve got a bunch of vacation days stacked up.”