Chapter Six *Edited*

I woke up to the birds chirping around me and the early dawn light peering over the horizon.  I stretched lazily and watched the beauty of the world as it came alive around me.  The sun slowly rose to shine its light on the eastern part of the property and smiled as the first rays of the day hit my face.  The morning was truly my favorite time of the day.  

                 I decided to get off the roof and head inside to take a shower and put on a dash of makeup before I went downstairs to grab some breakfast.  As I bound down the last few steps, I noticed the (extravagantly) large breakfast laid out on the table.  Bacon, waffles, an omelet, and even some hashbrowns.  My mouth started watering and I only paused for a moment when I saw the note.  I inspected it once I picked it up.  

                To the best sister in the world.  I'm sorry.  Well, that wasn't overdoing it or anything.  I sighed and sat down,   I sat there, wondering when he had ever gotten up early, let alone extra early.  I knew then that this time, he was truly going to try to make an effort to come clean.  I smiled to myself and knew it was going to be a good day.  I left my golden hair down on purpose, to try and hide what I could of the bruise.  When I was ready and it was time, I got in the car and drove to school.

                The parking lot was full, so I had to park in the very back and walk all the way to the front doors.  There wasn't anybody staring that I saw, but that didn't mean anything.  I made my way through the crowded hallway to my locker, trying to protect my face as I trudged through the sheer mass of bodies.  I entered my combo robotically.  Grabbing my first-period stuff, I shut my locker and then jumped when I turned and saw Alec leaning against the locker next to me.

                "How are you," he asked quietly, concern filling his eyes.  I nodded.

                "I'm good."  I looked down at my shoes.  "I've gotta go to class though, so I'll see you later." He nodded and I hurriedly walked away.  

                Class was agony.  I could feel quite a few stares on my face and I buried my nose in a book and didn't take it out for the next three periods.  At lunch, I avoided Alec and got my food and sat down at an empty table silently.  At the same time, Mitch and Alec got up from where they were sitting and started over to me, but they froze once they saw each other.  I rolled my eyes. 

                "Mitch, Alec," I said softly, but their attention was at me instantly.  "No.  Not today."  They nodded and Mitch hesitantly turned away and sat at a nearby table.  I could feel his gaze burning a hole in my face.  Alec came and sat next to me.

                "I'm sorry, Anna.  I know it will be hard, but I just want to make things right with my sister."  Emma was walking over at that point, a confused and suspicious look on her face.  She had black hair and a mocha complexion.  She was sweet and caring and funny, and sometimes I think Alec liked her because she put him in his place more than anybody else could.  But as she got nearer, Alec started to talk faster, getting quieter and until he was whispering feverishly to me.  All he wanted was to fix things, etc. 

                "But don't you get it, Alec?  Things can't be fixed.  They will never be the same again, ever.  I don't want it to be like that, but the way you just so carelessly hit me was it.  I've put up with your drinking for three years.  Three years of my life I've used trying to save you, only to watch you flush everything down the toilet.  Until you get your act together, I don't want to have anything to do with you."  I put as much force as I could quietly into my words and got up and threw away all my lunch, since I had suddenly lost my appetite.  I walked out of the hall into the bathroom.  I got some toilet paper from one of the stalls and wiped under my eyes, knowing it was useless, because half the foundation I'd had on was gone, my bruise now fully exposed; only covered by a thin cover of hair.