Chapter Four *Edited*

Soon enough, we pulled into the drive where I motioned for Mitch to stop.  I waited and saw none of the lights on.  The truck was gone, too.  I told him to pull into the garage.  He backed in and cut the engine.  We both got out and I sought my key out of my bag and inserted it into the door, turning on the light as I did so.  On the kitchen table, there was a note in my dad's handwriting.

                We decided to follow your lead and go to the coast for the next three days.  Money's in the envelope on the fridge and try not to eat too much pizza.  Make sure you guys do your homework and get to bed at a decent time.  NO PARTIES.  We love you and will see you Tuesday.  Love, Mom and Dad

                I sighed, happy they wouldn't see my face until I had a story worked out.  Mitch stumbled in the door, dragging Alec along behind him.  I helped him make it up the stairs and into his room, where we threw him onto the bed and walked out.  While I would normally at least throw his covers on him and take his shoes off of him, I was far too upset to do so tonight.  

                "Where is your medicine cabinet?" Mitch asked gently.  I shook my head.

                "I'll get it.  If you could go grab an ice pack out of the freezer that would be fantastic.  Oh, and a glass of water too, please.  I will be down in a minute."  Mitch nodded and I went into my bathroom to get the medicine and caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror.  It was terrible, the side of my face slightly swelling and turning purple.  I didn't know how I was going to explain the bruise on my face.  The worst part was that Alec had been wearing his giant class ring when he back-handed me.  I stood there until I heard Mitch softly calling for me. 

                "Anna?" 

                "Coming," I called back.  I went and found him right outside my room, hesitating and peering in.  "You can come in, I promise it's clean.  Mostly," I added.  He smiled and walked in, giving me the glass of water.  I took the pills and sat down on my bed at his insistence.

                "I'll put the ice on.  You sit down."  He pulled up the rolling chair from my desk and sat in front of me.  He slowly and delicately put the ice against my face, and to my credit, I didn't flinch at all.  He stared into my eyes and I stared back.  His eyes were beautiful, green and brown and gold all at the same time.  He stroked my arm, sitting there taking care of me.  

                 I didn't even know this guy, but he was being so incredibly nice to me when really I'd been nothing but rude to him, and I didn't even want to factor in my brother's behavior.  Maybe he stayed out of pity?  I wasn't sure, but right then, I'd take it.  We sat there for a while until the sound of Alec's snoring broke whatever spell was around us.  

                "I should probably go," he said falteringly.  I grabbed his other arm, the one that wasn't holding the ice bag and gripped it.

                "Don't go," I whispered.  I don't know why I said it, but I did.  He hesitated, tensing up as I squeezed his arm gently.  Staring into my eyes, I could see his resolve breaking and then nodded; blowing out a breath he was holding in.

                "Okay.  I'll stay."  And stay he did.  After my face was numb, he put the ice pack back in the freezer while I changed into my pajamas.  I crawled into bed and watched as he smiled down at me.  "Feeling better?"  I nodded.  "Good.  Try to get some rest."  I acknowledged his request and closed my eyes, but the noiseless room kept me awake.  

                "Will you come lay down by me?" I asked, feeling small.  He nodded after a second or two and kicked off his shoes and waited patiently as I scooted back to the pillow on the other side of my bed.  I was now glad my mom had insisted I get a queen bed instead of a twin to fill up my overly large room.  Mitch scooted under the covers and I rolled just enough so that my face was on his chest, and I could smell the musky smell that all guys seemed to have their own variation of.