Chapter Fourteen

“That’s a warm greeting,” he noted sarcastically.  I rolled my eyes and started to walk away.  “I wasn’t done talking to you,” he practically growled and I tried to grab for me.  I dodged his hand just in time and gave him an incredulous look.

“Excuse me,” I warned.  “I have to go find my date.  We can talk some other time.”  I turned and walked away faster than before.  “Why does he insist on doing this every time we meet?” I asked myself.

“Maybe it’s because I like talking to you,” Jordan noted from the other side of me.  I jumped because I had no clue that he was right there. 

“Go get a life, Jordan,” I said and tried walking away.  This time, he did succeed in snatching my hand.  “Let go of me,” I said, narrowing my eyes. 

“We need to talk, Anna.”

“We don’t need to do anything, you need to let go of me.”

“Anna, come on.  You know that it wasn’t me.”

“I don’t know anything, Jordan, and I’m not going back there again.  I’ve put it behind me.”

“Anna, come on.  Talk to me.  Let me tell you what really happened that night.”  He couldn’t have been begging more if he was down on his knees.

“Jordan, don’t.  Not here, not now.  I may have dated you, but that was a long time ago.  And then after the accident, you just disappear on all of us.  Was that a coincidence?  I don’t think so,” I hissed and tried to yank my arm free.  It still didn’t work. 

“Anna, I told you, I went to live with my mom.  She lives on the other side of the country.  I tried calling you so many times, but you never picked up.  Anna, I didn’t do it, I swear!”

“Like I’m going to believe that!  Leave me and my brother alone, Jordan.  I’ve been here all of seven minutes and I have yet to find my date, and you aren’t helping my mood right now.”

“Come on, Anna.  At least let me have a dance.  Please,” he said.  I sighed in defeat.  He wasn’t going to leave me alone until I did what he wanted. 

“Fine, Jordan.  Fine.  Let’s go,” I said and let him lead me over to the dance floor.  He bowed and I curtsied and took the hand he offered.  I had forgotten how much of an amazing dancer he was.  His form was perfect, his hands directly below my backbone.  I raised an eyebrow and we pulled onto the dance floor, clearing the way through the crowd.  We were executing the perfect Viennese Waltz. 

“Anna,” he started.  He twirled me out and I shook my head.

“Don’t start.  You’re lucky I allowed you this much.”  He spun me back in so that my back was to him and his arms were wrapped around me. 

“Come on,” he whispered in my ear.  “Let’s talk.”  His closeness was affecting me in ways that I didn’t think were possible any more.