Chapter Eighteen

I woke up and groaned.  Today just wasn’t going to be a good day.  I could already tell by the achiness in my joints; I was getting sick.  I stretched and thought about how sick I had to be for me to be feeling this bad.  I walked into my bathroom and turned on the light.  I looked in the mirror and almost screamed; I looked like absolute crap!  There were dark bags under my eyes.  This just wasn’t a good day.  Not a good day at all. 

I splashed my face in an attempt to wake up and went downstairs.  Alec was sitting at the breakfast bar with some coffee and his phone in his hand.  I passed him to go to the fridge.  I pulled out the carton of orange juice and shook it.  When I heard that there was very little left I opened the top and just drank straight from the carton. 

“Thirsty, much?” Alec chuckled.  I didn’t turn around to look at him.  “Anna?  You okay?”  I shook my head.  “What’s wrong?”  I put the carton down and turned around to glower at him.  His eyes grew as wide as saucers when he saw me.  “Holy crap!  What happened to you?”  I closed my eyes and rubbed my face.

“I don’t know.  Life,” I suggested as I drank the rest of the juice. 

“Are you sure this doesn’t have anything to do with what happened yesterday between you and Jordan?”  My fingers tightened around the carton and I squeezed, crumpling it.  “I’ll take that as a yes.”

I drained the juice and threw the carton away and walked back upstairs.  I was chilly in just my PJs, so I switched the booty shorts I had on for sweatpants and left my tank top on.  I went back downstairs into the den and curled up on the couch with a blanket.  I didn’t bother to turn the TV on since I never find anything I want to watch.  I pulled my laptop off of the coffee table in front of me and turned it on.  Right as I got to YouTube, my phone went off upstairs.  I groaned and got up and trudged upstairs to get it, knowing there was no way I would get there in time. 

“Anna, are you going to get that?” Alec snickered.

“Working on it!” I called right before I coughed.

“Hurry up!”  I could hear him laughing as I grumbled to myself about annoying brothers.  It turned out my assumption about not making it was correct, because as soon as I opened the door to my bedroom the ringer went silent.  Dragging my feet over to my nightstand, I saw that my phone had four missed calls.  Wow.  I walked back downstairs, randomly pushing buttons on my phone to see Alec by the door, fully dressed with his keys. 

“Where are you going?” 

“I’m going to go over to Emma’s.  She’s alone for the weekend.”

“So you will be gone the entire weekend?”

“Yeah, pretty much.”

“Thanks.  Just leave your sick sister alone the entire weekend.”

“You and I both know that you are going to be just fine.”