Chapter Nine

Dedicated to TaylorNicole7 for eagerly awaiting my new uploads and being an awesome fan!

The gravel barely crunched underneath my feet, but still, one I was at the edge of the porch light, Alec instantly stood straight up.  I walked into the light, and he practically growled. 

                “Hi, Alec,” I sighed.  I walked up onto the porch and he grabbed my arm and yanked me towards him. 

               “You were with him, weren’t you?” he asked.  I pretended to look innocent.

                “Who is this ‘him’ you are referring to?”  He rolled his eyes at me.

                “Mitch.  Mitch, Anna.  Were you with Mitch?”  I fiddled with my fingers before answering his question. 

                “What do you exactly mean when you say I was ‘with’ Mitch?” I asked gesturing with my hands to accentuate my words.

               “I mean were you or were you not with Mitch this entire time tonight?”  I eagerly shook my head, glad to have found a loophole.  I technically hadn’t been with him all of tonight. 

                “Nope.  I wasn’t.  So there you go,” I said and walked into the house.  Alec groaned and slapped his palm to his forehead. 

                “Not what I meant, Anna, and you know it.”

                “I don’t know what you’re talking about!” I called over my shoulder as I made my way into the den while he was still in the kitchen.

                “Sure you don’t!”  It was quiet for a moment until Alec yelled again.  “You know we’re still going to talk about this, right?”  I grinned.

                “Talk about what?”

                “Anna!” Alec groaned.  I smirked to myself and listened as he grumbled to himself on his way up to his room.  I knew he wasn’t going to let this drop, but I could at least pester him enough to at least put it off for a while.  I felt my phone vibrating.  I pulled it out and saw that Emma was calling. 

                “Emma?” I asked.  She rarely ever talked to me.

                “Anna, have you gone insane?!  Are you trying to send your brother over the edge?”  I flinched as she almost yelled in my ear. 

                “Emma, calm down.  What is this all about?” 

                “This is about the fact that I saw you getting out of a truck with Mitch!  I swear you are just trying to kill your brother.  Honestly, some days, I even wonder if you even care about what happens to him anymore.”

                “Excuse me, Emma, but I don’t recall you ever coming and picking him up from a party at four in the morning the day before your finals.  I don’t ever remember you making him breakfast or blending his morning drinks.  I don’t recall you caring about anything before you two started dating and he was making you look bad.  I don’t-”

                “I get it Anna.  I just meant that I wondered if you cared enough to consider what this stupid affair you’re having with Mitch Bryant would do for Alec’s recovery.  Think about it; what would you do if you found out that he was dating the one and only person you hated with your entire being?”  I grumbled a response that told her I got the point.  “I’m just saying that you need to be more discreet about it.  I’m not actually opposed to this,” she said.  I could practically feel the idea she was brewing.