Chapter Eleven

Dedicated to Aquawater06, for always commenting and pestering for another chapter.  So here it is, darling!  Make sure you guys listen to the music that is somewhere over on the side ---------->>

Later that night, exactly forty five minutes after sunset, Mitch and I went out onto the small balcony outside my room and climbed onto the roof.

“Here,” I said, holding my hand out for him to give me the blanket and pillows.  He gladly did, and I crawled quickly to the top of the roof and spread out the soft, plush quilt.  The pillows followed suit.  My knees hurt from crawling on the roof, and my hands had small pieces of roofing in them.  I turned my head and saw Mitch staring at my ass.  “Can I help you?” I asked as I raised an eyebrow.  Mitch smiled and started crawling up with the Doritos and Dr. Pepper.

“Yeah, actually,” he said as he got up to the blanket.  He set the food and drinks down and then laid down on the blanket.  “You can come lay right here,” he said, pointing to his side.  I smiled and did as told.

“Better?” I grinned. 

“Much,” he said.  His arm was wrapped around me and curled me into him.  I laid my head down on his chest and could hear his steady heart beat.  One hand of his stroked my hair; the other was draped across my waist.  I could feel his gaze on my head and I shifted my head so that I wasn’t looking at the sky, I was looking at his face.

“You know,” I started.  “Your eyes haven’t left me since we got out here.  The purpose of coming out here was for you to look at the sky,” I giggled.  I motioned with one hand the purple-black sky that was around us.  I looked up myself and saw a large stretch of the Milky Way, filled with stars, so many stars that the sky seemed alive.  It was a new moon, so no extra light impaired our ability to see the night sky.  It was beyond words.

“Anna,” Mitch managed.  I looked up at his eyes and could see the reflection of the big dipper.  “This is…astounding.  I never knew how pretty the sky is.”

“It isn’t pretty,” I said softly.  “It’s beautiful.”  We laid there in silence for a moment until I slightly shifted to grab a hold of my iPod that I had brought out.  I scrolled down to my slow playlist.  I moved back into Mitch’s side and his grip on me tightened the slightest.  I don’t know how long we stayed there until Mitch spoke. 

“Anna,” he began, almost tripping over his words.  “I know that I know you, but I hardly know you.  Tell me everything about you.  Down to your favorite nail polish color.  I want to know it all,” he said.  I took a deep breath and nodded and started telling him everything about me, from my childhood to my hopes and dreams.  At one point, we got on the topic of friends.

“Who is your best friend?”

“That’s an easy one.  Alec.  It’s Alec.”  Mitch’s eye brows furrowed.  We had shifted so that I was laying on his stomach, my head resting on my arms, which were on his chest.  With a finger, I smoothed out the crease the frown made.

“You don’t have any girl friends?”

“I guess you could count Emma,” I offered, but he shook his head.

“That doesn’t count.”

“Okay, well, I guess not really then.  I don’t really socialize with the stuck up preps or anybody else at school except for Emma and Alec and some of their close friends.”

“You never had a best friend in high school?”  I shook my head, but then hesitated.

“I did, once.  Her name was Olivia.”  Mitch’s body jerked.